Gym!

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:27 pm
Finally got my finger out and joined the local Fitness First - talk about high pressure sales!

WIll report back after they do the fitness age thing - I will be helped by the exercise programme that I have been doing, even if it has been a half hearted effort.

Any other personal stories and experiences are welcome - you gym junkies, do you vary the music you listen to whle you are working out? Like when you are doing aerobic do you steer clear of chill-out?
Cash on hand: 13,733.00
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:47 pm
I used to go to the gym when it became "trendy" to go, and the moment someone nicked my bicycle from outside, that gave me the reason to stop going, as I couldn't be bothered bussing it there, or walking there and back.

I have my own very sad regime I do at home, but figure with my job I'm active, I walk too and from work up and down all the hills here, and with my own thing happening at home in front of Dr. Phil, I'm happy.

I've heard that about Fitness First, and Curves - money making machines!
Cash on hand: 882.50
Bank: 3,905,233.20
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:48 pm
Congrats in getting your finger out PF.

I've been going to gym obsessively for a year and a half now and the results speak for themselves.

I've lost so much weight since joining, and look and feel great now.

I admit I've turned into a junkie.

I mix things up do about 45 minutes of cardio 4 times a week and about 30 mins of weights 4 times a week, to even up the weight loss and muscle growth. Its good to know though the flabby bits and pieces are now toned up which I'm proud of.

On the topic of music, I usually just chuck my ipod on shuffle. I did create a playlist in itunes for gym, haven't changed it in months though so got sick of it.

Lately I've been doing my cardio listening to some heavyish punk music, I find it drives me, its also very angsty music so it relives my fustration if I've had a sh!t day.

I love going to gym, its such a stress reliever, it feels so good to go run a problem out of your system.

I've developed a new motto, where if I have time to do nothing its better off exercising.

Hope all goes well for you PF, but gyms aren't always for everybody, they work for me though because I find it motivation enough that I've paid the money for the membership I may as well use it.

Fitness first though is full of posers who spend 80% of the time they are there checking themselves out in the mirror.
Golden Globe Nominee
Cash on hand: 3,877.70
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:24 pm
And now you have to get your finger out 4 to 5 times a week.......... :doh:

Congrats , goodluck :)
In the game of life always back self-interest.
Cash on hand: 13,733.00
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:29 pm
[quote:30f7dc1708="bugaluggs"]And now you have to get your finger out 4 to 5 times a week.......... :doh:

Congrats , goodluck :)[/quote:30f7dc1708]

[img:30f7dc1708]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/elle-jay/1giggle.gif[/img:30f7dc1708]

Yeah, from me too!

Did you pay for a year?
Cash on hand: 882.50
Bank: 3,905,233.20
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:30 pm
[quote:d4d4245bdc="JAYEL"][quote:d4d4245bdc="bugaluggs"]And now you have to get your finger out 4 to 5 times a week.......... :doh:

Congrats , goodluck :)[/quote:d4d4245bdc]

[img:d4d4245bdc]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/elle-jay/1giggle.gif[/img:d4d4245bdc]

Yeah, from me too!

Did you pay for a year?[/quote:d4d4245bdc]

I think you can only pay by the year at Fitness first, from what I remember.
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 3,802.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:38 pm
My new house is about 2 mins walk from my gym so I have no excuses now :(
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:35 pm
[quote:7d0ebb9072="ryaneco"]I admit I've turned into a junkie.

I mix things up do about 45 minutes of cardio 4 times a week and about 30 mins of weights 4 times a week, to even up the weight loss and muscle growth. Its good to know though the flabby bits and pieces are now toned up which I'm proud of.

Hope all goes well for you PF, but gyms aren't always for everybody, they work for me though because I find it motivation enough that I've paid the money for the membership I may as well use it. [/quote:7d0ebb9072]

A couple of big issues for me is that I have been devoting that time and more for a couple of years without much relief of the weight (and more importantly) not much improvement in cardiac fitness - and this following the prescribed programme (if a little irregularly and lethargically). The clincher was when I went to the GP the other day having taken a few blood pressure readings after exercise (they were OK). Ryanco - you might know Heaslip St in Coniston and its steep incline - I walked to the top and was pretty puffy (that doesn't make me stop but does usually make me slow down a bit) and the heart rate was about 125 (better than I thought) and my GP says - "that's great, that's what you should be aiming for and keeping it up for half an hour." Considering the briskest walk (with kilos in the backpack) only gets it up to 108 I think there is nothing more I can do realistically by myself and outside of a gym. I think it would be so much easier with a heart rate monitor that I can see rather than sorta stopping to get a feel for the heart rate (and then getting anxious and slowing down if it gets to about 110!)

I think I have a slight advantage over some other people in that I have been following a programme but I hope, as with Ryanco, that I get enough out of it to want to keep coming back. They say when I have reached my goals THAT is when you go to the 2 - 3 times a week maintenance workout, which is what you see on all the news / current affairs programmes, but skip over the bit where you have to build yourself up to it.

Anyone know the current formula? Max heart rate is 220 - age (I think) and when exercising you should aim for X% of that and maintain it for half an hour?
Cash on hand: 37.50
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:08 pm
Since I've worked at the gym and have used it on a casual basis (now i use it more on a regular basis) I have a million stories that take place there. Some good, some bad. Some hilarious, some scary lol. Sadly, a lot of people get hurt there too.

Like ryaneco said, gym is definitely not for everyone. When we had to do assessment for new memebers, we had to make sure that the exercises they were assigned were appropriate for their body weight and the placement of the weight too. Different bodies respond to different exercises. For some, cardio is the best way to stay fit while others prefer doing weights and other non-equipment exercises. For losing weight, a combination of the two is best.

Are you going on a program or just doing your own thing? I'd definitely suggest you get assessed before you start. Sometimes, simple weight lifting can do a lot of damage if not done properly.

I love the gym too. I dont find the cardio etc a stress relief but i LOVE the boxing and cycling. It's awesome and keeps you in shape. Takes out all your anger too :lol:
He'll never understand just how much of me belongs to him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:15 pm
I have a programme that will no doubt be adapted, and the assessment is compulsory. 1st thing is equipment orientation tommorow afternoon (will have lots of questions). I don't mind if the programme is adjusted.

And yes, the programme I have been following is half aerobic, half resistance (thouugh I have found some of the resistance to be lame and boring, and has thus far been a bigger struggle getting through.
Next

Return to General