[NSW] Sydney Movie Complex To Re-open

Discuss news and current affairs. Please enter with an open mind. Strictly no personal attacks.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,925.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:54 pm
Im a frequenter to The Dendy Newtown :)
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:05 am
Yes, the Dendy is probably the only remaining independent cinema left in Sydney since the Valhalla in Glebe closed down a few years ago and Paddington's Mandala, Manly's Silver Screen and that place in North Sydney, the name of which I can't remember, folded quite some years earlier. It's doing a good job staying afloat too by screening mainstream films to sort of subsidise films that are not mainstream.

One of the last ones I watched before moving from Newtown to Whyalla was a New Zealand production called In my Father's Den. It was so impressive that it moved me to write a brief review of it here.

What has become the Dendy chain of arthouse cinemas was founded by Lyn McCarthy and her husband Graeme Tubbenhauer when they bought a cinema outlet of the same name in Sydney's CBD. Both parted from the chain about six months after the Becker Group bought the fledgling chain in 1998. Greame died in 2006. He was an incredibly relaxed bloke for someone with so much on his plate. I think he could afford to be because Lyn seemed to do the bulk of crossing the ts and dotting the is that needed to be done to keep the business going. That's the impression I got from drinking with them at Glebe's Toxteth Hotel over a period of (guessing now) a couple of years.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Previous

Return to News, Current Affairs & Politics