The world tragedies

Discuss news and current affairs. Please enter with an open mind. Strictly no personal attacks.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 159.50
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:56 pm
Over the pass week there have been so many things happening leading to a great loss of life.

Bombings in Beirut
Earthquake in Mexico
Shootings etc in Paris
Tsunami in Japan

What I do not get is that there has been blanket coverage on all news networks about what happened in Paris but nothing has been mentioned about all of the other things that have led to loss of life.

It also beggars belief that Channel 7 and 9 sent Karl and Sammy to broadcast direct from Paris. The worst presenters of any TV.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Cash on hand: 30,527.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:34 pm
The_Admiral wrote:It also beggars belief that Channel 7 and 9 sent Karl and Sammy to broadcast direct from Paris.

Happens all the time, whether event is in Australia or overseas. Real slap in the face to the regular reporters who've been there since the getgo. And seriously? WHY????? The face of the "reporter" reading the prompt card doesn't change the info being "reported".
:x :x

Tsunami in Japan

Well, it was only a foot or so? ;)

And what about the 10 workers killed when the latest TGV crashed on the weekend?
Bad day for France ...
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 16,354.10
Bank: 659,744.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:31 pm
cleo wrote:
The_Admiral wrote:It also beggars belief that Channel 7 and 9 sent Karl and Sammy to broadcast direct from Paris.

Happens all the time, whether event is in Australia or overseas. Real slap in the face to the regular reporters who've been there since the getgo. And seriously? WHY????? The face of the "reporter" reading the prompt card doesn't change the info being "reported".
:x :x
Always makes me laugh when they do that, bloody ridiculous. I watch 7 more than 9 and so far have noticed 7 have sent Sammy and Mel and Michelle Tapper even, crazy.

cleo wrote:And what about the 10 workers killed when the latest TGV crashed on the weekend?
Bad day for France ...

Not a mention. Being in the rail industry myself only knew about this from a FB group I am in.
BRING BACK LETTERS AND NUMBERS
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:55 pm
This is a cartoon editorial about reactions

Its a little bit nihilistic, but it tells of how people are using this as an outlet for their emotions because of how disconnected we all are

Cash on hand: 108,389.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:19 am
The_Admiral wrote:Over the pass week there have been so many things happening leading to a great loss of life.

What I do not get is that there has been blanket coverage on all news networks about what happened in Paris but nothing has been mentioned about all of the other things that have led to loss of life.

All are tragedies. And I totally agree with you there. I cannot understand all the blanket coverage of Paris, and next to nothing about the other tragedies. I remember watching the news on Friday night. The Lebanon bombings that killed 60-odd people was shown 15 minutes into the bulletin, and for no more than one minutes coverage of that tragedy. Balanced News in Australia??? Pfffft, yeah right!

For the Paris bombings, i didn't mind an extra or so hours coverage for the Saturday versions of Sunrise and Today, as the events were unfolding. But seriously, not the whole day for Seven. I bet Nine were spewing that they had to show the Cricket. And the various "Special News bulletins" weren't necessary.

The_Admiral wrote:It also beggars belief that Channel 7 and 9 sent Karl and Sammy to broadcast direct from Paris. The worst presenters of any TV.

i don't get the reasoning of sending them there either!
Cash on hand: 30,527.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:54 am
Well, you can sort of understand ... war/mass violence/deaths happens in the Middle East every day. It's the "norm" so it's not really "news" any more.
War/mass violence/deaths happening in Paris IS news because it's not the norm (and hopefully stays that way).
(overblown coverage as usual though)
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:18 am
Talking to your kids about tragic events
Cash on hand: 13,565.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:32 am

I saw that on TV this morning. Very cute.

And I didn't hear the rest of what was stopped in Hanover.

Return to News, Current Affairs & Politics