The China and USA tragedies involving children

Discuss news and current affairs. Please enter with an open mind. Strictly no personal attacks.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 164.50
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:53 pm
http://www.smh.com.au/world/22-children-hurt-in-china-school-attack-20121214-2bfng.html

http://www.smh.com.au/world/live-updates-us--school-shooting-massacre-20121215-2bfx0.html

In the past 24 hours 42 children have been killed or injured in different parts of the world whilst they were either on the way to school or at school.

Much more is being reported on the US shooting and the China incident has been placed on the back burner. That is the sad thing.

The National Rifleman's Association (NRA) in the US must take a long hard look at themselves and permit the government to ban assault weapons, to let the government enforce mandatory mental health checks for gun owners. No one, and I mean no one needs to have in their possession an assault weapon.

Since the Port Arthur massacre there has been no mass shootings in Australia because we have tough nationwide gun laws.

The US need to amend the 2nd Amendment to ban possession of assault weapons.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Emmy Nominee
Cash on hand: 520.00
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:45 pm
The_Admiral wrote:The National Rifleman's Association (NRA) in the US must take a long hard look at themselves and permit the government to ban assault weapons, to let the government enforce mandatory mental health checks for gun owners. No one, and I mean no one needs to have in their possession an assault weapon.

Unfortunately, I cannot see that ever happening. You're right as well about the NRA "permitting" the government to ban assault weapons - they have such power in politics that the government wouldn't dare go against them.

I could give my opinion on this, but my sentiments are echoed in a recent blog posting by Jason Alexander. This was written after the Colorado shootings.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/if2nht
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:34 pm
This is such a sad sad thing. :cry: Guns should be banned altogether in the States but it will never ever happen.

Game Show Contestant
Cash on hand: 65.00
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:47 am
The mood seems to be much different following this shooting, than the previous thirty since Colombine. Perhaps not even the gun lobby can tolerate watching six year old children mown down in a hail of bullets. There will never be major gun reform in the USA, because it is a country run by lobby groups.
Australian Film Star
Cash on hand: 77.50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 pm
Joker wrote:
The_Admiral wrote:The National Rifleman's Association (NRA) in the US must take a long hard look at themselves and permit the government to ban assault weapons, to let the government enforce mandatory mental health checks for gun owners. No one, and I mean no one needs to have in their possession an assault weapon.

Unfortunately, I cannot see that ever happening. You're right as well about the NRA "permitting" the government to ban assault weapons - they have such power in politics that the government wouldn't dare go against them.

I could give my opinion on this, but my sentiments are echoed in a recent blog posting by Jason Alexander. This was written after the Colorado shootings.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/if2nht

Wow. Thanks for posting Jason Alexander's blog. Very interesting. Frames the issue very well.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. ~ Bertrand Russell

Return to News, Current Affairs & Politics