Batman cinema shooting

Discuss news and current affairs. Please enter with an open mind. Strictly no personal attacks.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,233.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 am
apparently Christian Bale personally visited the victims/survivors in hospital in Colorado, without people making him do it. he went on his own terms.

this would have surprised them and lifted their spirits. really nice of him to do so, cause really.. celebs are people too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... oting.html
http://www.smh.com.au/world/batman-flie ... 22or5.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/25/justi ... index.html
Cash on hand: 13,565.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 am
Wow, I found this this morning!
The man accused of killing a dozen people at a Colorado cinema sent a chilling warning of his plans in a parcel which sat unopened in a university mailroom, Fox News reports.

The package contained a notebook "full of details about how he was going to kill people" and appeared to have arrived more than a week before Friday's mass shooting, an unnamed law enforcement source told the network's website.

It's not clear why the package was never delivered nor whether it actually arrived in time to potentially prevent the massacre, which also left 58 people wounded.

A second law enforcement source quoted by FoxNews.com said they were unable to confirm that the package had arrived prior to the massacre. The first source said it had arrived on July 12, but did not say why it was not delivered.

It was addressed to a psychiatrist who is also a professor at the University of Colorado, where James Holmes was a graduate student.

The spiral-bound notebook was discovered Monday after the psychiatrist received a package he feared had come from Holmes and police searched the mailroom for suspicious packages.

"There were drawings of what he was going to do in it — drawings and illustrations of the massacre," the source told the website.

Among the drawings were some of gun-wielding stick figures shooting other stick figures.

Officials believe Holmes, 24, meticulously planned his attack on the first midnight showing of the hit movie The Dark Knight Rises in a cinema in Aurora, outside Denver.

The gunman emerged from a fire exit on Friday shortly after the film began and threw two canisters of noxious gas into the auditorium.

After firing one round directly into the air with a pump-action shotgun, he began shooting people at random with a military-style assault rifle that could dispatch 50 to 60 rounds a minute, witnesses said.

Authorities said Holmes had painted his hair reddish orange and claimed he was the Joker, Batman's sworn enemy in the comic book series that inspired the movie.

According to reports and at least one witness, he might have killed more people had his assault rifle not jammed.

Holmes gave himself up outside the cinema, still clad in the body armor witnesses described the gunman wearing.

Police said Sunday they had found Holmes's computer inside his booby-trapped apartment — rigged to kill anyone who entered — which could provide crucial details about how he planned and executed the attack.

He is being held in solitary confinement in the Arapahoe County Detention Center and could face the death penalty if convicted.

Holmes made a strange appearance in court on Monday as he sat glum-faced, his eyes repeatedly closing and opening in strange fashion raising concerns he may have been heavily medicated.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/850568 ... ill-report

ER Surgeon
Cash on hand: 612.50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:47 am
Supernatural-Fan wrote: Reagan had the right idea.

You know, I don't think I've ever said those words. Ever. :)

And by the way, neither President Obama nor Mitt Romney have come out with ANY statement on the need to control the type of easy access to guns and ammo that this guy had--and they don't intend to. Nope. We're just NOT gonna talk about it.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:24 pm
Fringedweller wrote:It's worse than that. The gun lovers will wheel up the argument again that the massacre would not have happened if the cinema goers had been armed themselves.

It didn't take long! :roll: . On the news yesterday: a man saying that if someone in that cinema had had a gun, they could have stopped the shooting.
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:00 pm
couch_potato wrote:
It didn't take long! :roll: . On the news yesterday: a man saying that if someone in that cinema had had a gun, they could have stopped the shooting.

So the scenario would be, Tom in aisle 2 has equipped his trench coat with a shotgun so he can watch Batman at the cinemas in peace and quiet and without any psychopath ruining the experience for him. Whilst Richard in aisle 3 has a spare gas mask in his pocket that he can pass to Tom just in case something goes horribly wrong?

Some people cannot honestly think that if someone in that cinema had a gun any of it would have been prevented. Surely not! A survivor of that shooting said "we couldn't see our hands in front of out faces". You wouldn't exactly think to pull a gun out of your pockets and shoot where you cant see in that situation. Guns are not exactly an item you take to the cinemas.

In case of copy cat shootings I wouldn't want to watch Batman at the cinemas if I were living in America after that happened. But one thing you don't want to encourage is people carrying guns into any cinema. Just insane to even think it.

You know, I don't think I've ever said those words. Ever. :)

:mrgreen:
Previous

Return to News, Current Affairs & Politics