Geoffrey Rush named Australian of The Year!

Discuss news and current affairs. Please enter with an open mind. Strictly no personal attacks.

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 pm
Why wasn't Kate Middleton on the shortlist for Australian of the year? I thought she was "Aussie Kate"? :roll:
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:06 pm
Supernatural-Fan wrote:Why wasn't Kate Middleton on the shortlist for Australian of the year?
She was neither born in Australia nor is she a naturalised Australian. That alone would disqualify her as a candidate. In addition she has not done a thing that could be even remotely described as deserving the award.
Last edited by Fringedweller on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:09 pm
Fringedweller wrote:
Supernatural-Fan wrote:Why wasn't Kate Middleton on the shortlist for Australian of the year?
She was neither born in Australia nor is she a naturalised Australian. In addition to that she has not done a thing that could be even remotely described as deserving the award.

Admittedly it was a poor attempt at sarcasm on my part. Of course I wasn't being serious. :)
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:13 pm
Supernatural-Fan wrote:
Fringedweller wrote:
She was neither born in Australia nor is she a naturalised Australian. In addition to that she has not done a thing that could be even remotely described as deserving the award.
Admittedly it was a poor attempt at sarcasm on my part. Of course I wasn't being serious. :)
Good one. I am much relieved.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)

Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 4,218.10
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:29 am
Fringedweller wrote:
2kidznus wrote: I'm glad the Australian of the year was not Pippa Middleton's behind.
Don't be jealous of her bottom now. :mrgreen:

Jealous? Who me? :<| BTW I'm pretty sure her behind would be related to Aussies with convict ancestors, so her behind would get along with Alan Bond the modern convict very nicely and support his Aussie of the Year recognition. And loose connection minute is over for another day.
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 36,540.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:54 am
Poor choice.
Modest to the top.
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 452,631.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:05 am
The Miz wrote:Poor choice.

Oh Really? As already partially covered in the thread (Or 'well covered' like Middleton's behind :P ), it's not like the 'Australian of the Year' has such high and lofty standards, dear oh deary me, oh noes, how disappointing, lol.

And also - I'd much prefer a guy, who I presume is a generally all round good, well balanced guy like Rush to be receiving it and no doubt, as the per the reasoning for him being awarded it, he's achieved alot in his industry and is amongst the top and most well respected Australian actors, heck, one of the most respected in the Australian entertainment industry, full stop.

Again, let me point you Fringey's post, previous page, which I wish to discuss it none the less (:P):

Fringedweller wrote:...it would be more worthy of the award than Alan Bond (1978).

Interesting breakdown of awards since 1960 by category from the Wikipedia.

Science (Non-medical) 5
Arts 9
Medical Science 8
Indigenous affairs 5
Religion 2
Community Service 2
Politics/Public office 3
Sport 13
Non-science academic 2
Military service 3
Business 3

Male 44
Female 10

Oh that thing, context, and the wonderful thing that is hindsight. Ok, I'm sure some of our fellow TVAuslings old enough to be around in 1978, let alone old enough to have such a say/interest to have a say in such a matter then, may've questioned it even then? But then again, it WAS 1978 and when, AFAIK, Mr Bond was still the growing darling of Australia (Especially Western Australia) and IIRC probably already involved in Australia's bid/s for the America's Cup, which ofcourse famously won/took from the Yanks in 1983. Anyway, the honeymoon was shot down in flames when Bond was exposed in the late 80s as too other guys, like Skase etc... but again, context.

BUT ANYWAY... As the list shows - Well for 'our' 'Australian of the Year' oh it's like a Nobel Laureate or something greater, heck, no earthly being is surely worth of such an honour... :lol:

C'mon now - 'Sport 13' or even 'Male 44, Female 10' says it all (C'Mon sisters rally up, where is the outcry? ;) :P ).

It's a funny thing this - Obviously we don't take it 'too seriously' even though it's still a great honour. It's obviously not quite a knighthood or something, though even there, c'mon, we have seen just about every long serving entertainer/actress all and sundry offered one. Well, in the UK atleast (Even the odd 'American' lol), Jagger etc... Many have declined, for a whole varying line of reasons, including some funnily enough due to the 'comprised value of knighthood' due to it being offered to people 'like them,' lol.

lol - There's a whole wiki on that too, hehe, actually quite interesting really, going right back to Cromwell! :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declining_a_British_honour

Anyway, while obviously it's not THAT serious (Though obviously even value of Knighthood/titles declining in, well, 'public perception/esteem' or some such?), it's still an honour and those bestowed it still hold that title of being 'The Australian of the Year' for the duration of that year and even 'Former Australian of the Year,' beyond then. Rightly or wrongly, it evokes the sense, kind of like, 'the ultimate citizen' though ofcourse, again, hindsight would eliminate/strike out the odd 'former Australian of the Year,' like your Alan Bonds etc..

Also, I've noticed, especially in recent times, it 'can' be quite a 'political device' or atleast, a good one for driving a cause or what not - re: Professor Tim Flannery in 2007, for his work/activism in Global Warming Science and Patrick McGorry in 2010 for his work as a Pscyhiastrist and his contributions to the youth mental health system etc... I think too, that tied to that, or maybe his winning was part of the theme - that 2010 was the year of 'Mental Health Awareness' or something like that, if I remember correctly. Though maybe that was 'through' McGorry and his profession being recognised with Australian of the Year, so he being able to utilise that status and media exposure to promote such. Flannery too - that was the last year of the Howard govt. when they proposed their own, last ditch, Carbon Emission's trading scheme - Howard also stated circa that time that he was finally 'convinced' only after seeing 'An Inconvenient Truth' which only came out the year before. The whole Global Warming was high on the 'public agenda/polls' at the time, so was even an '07 election issue ofcourse. So Flannery being awarded it was certainly a product of the time and along with that he was held in a kind of untouchable esteem, atleast for that year - even though the denialists etc... were still out in force.

Interesting too that the latest two are 'less socio-political' areas I guess - so taking it back to simpler areas, like periods before, including 22 from 'Sports and Arts/Entertainment.' Paul Hogan winning in 1985 - lol no greater example of a 'product of the time' than that one - 'Throw another shrimp on the Barbie' for it.

You will notice too, from those 13 Sports receipients 'Australian Cricket Captains' are popular, especially recent era, Taylor and Waugh and throw in Border that's three. Tennis represented well too too, Rafter and Goolagong-Cawley. And then no surprise, a few 'Olympians' or 'World/International Champion types' like Cathy Freeman, Rob de Castella, Shane Gould, Lionel Rose, Sir Jack Brabham and Dawn Fraser. I suppose you can see atleast the award has some minimum of standards - Thankfully no RL or AFL players, yet. Again, looking closer, I don't begrudge most or barely any, I mean, like Rush, people like Mark Taylor (Father of the Year that year too, IIRC lol), Steve Waugh and Pat Rafter are known to be genuinely nice, well balanced people who DO contribute atleast to some degree to the community, be it here in Australia or overseas and again, that's partly the reason why they win it (Though I remmember hearing that Rafter lives in Bermuda? So he infamously avoids Aussie tax, how very 'Australian of the Year?' :shock: ). I don't know much about Country star Lee Kernaghan except he wins alot of ARIAs and he too, again, seems a nice, well balanced guy who's had a long and distinguished career in his industry.

Infact looking at the list, it's no surprise Rush has been awarded won and no surprise with timing - Surely his 'King's Speech' success finally tipped him over the line, combined with well, the timing, 'this being the year/best candidate this year?' Looking at the list, Rush is NOT out of place at all and it's kind of due time he was awarded in a way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_of_the_Year_Award_recipients

Still in that list, some esteemed people, who have contributed alot, including, ironically perhaps, a few who were also awarded knighthood.
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:18 am
Updated breakdown of awards since 1960 by category from the Wikipedia.

Science (Non-medical) 5
Arts 10
Medical Science 8
Indigenous affairs 5
Religion 2
Community Service 2
Politics/Public office 3
Sport 14
Non-science academic 2
Military service 3
Business 4

Male 46
Female 11

For the first time ever all Australia Day gongs went to women.

MRAs are livid.

Previous

Return to News, Current Affairs & Politics