Celebrities Coming Out as Gay

Discuss news and current affairs. Please enter with an open mind. Strictly no personal attacks.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 162.00
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:19 am
Although I have suspected this one for quite some time Zachery Quinto (Heroes and Star Trek) has officially come out as being gay.

Spock actor Zachary Quinto reveals he is gay
October 17, 2011 - 9:44AM

Actor Zachary Quinto, known for portraying Spock in the 2009 blockbuster film Star Trek, has publicly come out as a gay man.

In an interview with New York Magazine published yesterday, Quinto recalled a stage play he performed in last year, Angels in America, which was set against the backdrop of the AIDS epidemic and the toll it took on him personally.

"[A]s a gay man, it made me feel like there's still so many things that need to be looked at and addressed," he told the magazine.

Quinto, who rose to fame playing the evil killer Sylar on the television series Heroes, also mused to the magazine about gay marriage and young gay teens who have committed suicide after being bullied.

"And again, as a gay man, I look at that and say there's a hopelessness that surrounds, but as a human being I look at it and say 'Why? Where's this disparity coming from ...?" he said.

Quinto was most recently seen in a small role as one of Anna Faris' lovers in the comedy film What's Your Number?.

He also is a recurring character on the FX series American Horror Story, in which he plays a gay ghost.

Quinto, 34, is promoting the upcoming film Margin Call, which he produced and stars in as well. He will reprise the role of Spock in the another instalment of the Star Trek franchise, which goes into production in January.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/celebri ... z1azPXKupP

On his personal website he goes on to explain that the reason he has chosen to come out is because of the recent 'death' of Jamey Rodemeyer. You can read his thoughts on why he chose now to come out at http://www.zacheryquinto.com

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,925.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:51 pm
R.E.M's singer Michael Stipe came out and nobody really cared

Its no big surprise anymore, not in our society and culture

However its still a big hurdle for the party concerned to come out
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm
CONDEMNED666 wrote:R.E.M's singer Michael Stipe came out and nobody really cared

Yes to all of that.

I am really pleased that it is possible now to come out without finishing up in gaol. That is what would have happened to those who did when I was a child. Now it is possible for judges to openly declare their homosexuality without being disqualified from their job. Politicians get elected and re-elected, actors keep landing roles, football players are retained in their teams and the public keeps buying songs by pop stars regardless of their sexuality.

It still is not an easy decision for public figures to come out, but the repercussions are not nearly as bad as they used to be. As homosexuality is becoming increasingly acceptable, the list of people coming out keeps growing. It's all good.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:16 am
Fringedweller wrote:
CONDEMNED666 wrote:R.E.M's singer Michael Stipe came out and nobody really cared

Yes to all of that.

I am really pleased that it is possible now to come out without finishing up in gaol. That is what would have happened to those who did when I was a child. Now it is possible for judges to openly declare their homosexuality without being disqualified from their job. Politicians get elected and re-elected, actors keep landing roles, football players are retained in their teams and the public keeps buying songs by pop stars regardless of their sexuality.

It still is not an easy decision for public figures to come out, but the repercussions are not nearly as bad as they used to be. As homosexuality is becoming increasingly acceptable, the list of people coming out keeps growing. It's all good.

True, it is not an easy decision for a publci figure to make.

The thing that I like about this is that HE choose the timing of his announcement and was not FORCED to come out of the closet because of a gossip magazine.

Having read what Zachary said on his website you can clearly see why he made the decision at this time and from what he has said on his twitter he is thankful for all the support he has received.

Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,925.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:59 am
It wouldnt happen in a conservative society like China though

:cry:

China (at least Communist China) is looking for the cure for Gay

Or something :geek:

Secret Life Extra
Cash on hand: 317.50
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:49 am
Good for him for being so brave.

It seems that it's hard for celebrities to come out sometimes, especially if they want to fill more traditional male roles. There's a big danger in typecasting.

EDIT Michael Stipe came out? Can't say I'm surprised.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 am
ninemsn reports that Magda Szubanski has come out as lesbian. Shocked me for sure, never pictured her as gay. But good on her.
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:50 pm
couch_potato wrote:ninemsn reports that Magda Szubanski has come out as lesbian. Shocked me for sure, never pictured her as gay. But good on her.

This actually did not surprise me as I have known this for quite a while. I used to live next to one of her relatives and have met her on a number of occasions.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/celebrity/funny-girl-magda-expected-to-come-out-in-support-of-gay-marriage-20120214-1t2t8.html

and Matt Bomer of White Collar has confirmed that he is gay at an awards ceremony.

http://au.eonline.com/news/marc_malkin/matt_bomer_comes_out_gay_man/293928

Cash on hand: 9,840.30
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:38 pm
The_Admiral wrote:
and Matt Bomer of White Collar has confirmed that he is gay at an awards ceremony.

I could've sworn he was already 'out'. Good on him though. and Magda. :)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:42 pm
CTUAffillate wrote:
The_Admiral wrote:

I could've sworn he was already 'out'. Good on him though. and Magda. :)

That is what everyone is thinking, CTUAffillate.

He has never said anything about his sexuality and everyone just assumed he was out.

Next

Return to News, Current Affairs & Politics