Why Is Julia Gillard So Unpopular?

Discuss news and current affairs. Please enter with an open mind. Strictly no personal attacks.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 452,631.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:50 pm
I guess I just have to say now - I know, in theory, 'that we're all adults' right? Well not quite and that image you posted Joe is in poor taste at the very least.

Many people question as to the baseness of the debate, including whether some of the criticism of Gillard is wandering into the realm of 'sexism/double standards of sexism,' and pictures like what you posted just re-inforce why people are bemused by this. I won't/haven't reported, I'll leave it up to others to see what they say - Obviously with the lesser activity we've been a bit slow to notice. Obviously you and some others see nothing wrong with it and if it 'lowers the debate/vitriol' any more then so be it, right? But again, intentionally or otherwise, you just simply contributed an answer the question of the original post!

garden gnome wrote:how does one reply to such insightful political wit? Clearly there are some serious problems for the government, not least of which is continued leadership speculation (although that would appear to not be party specific). The budget, rather than being the main feature, became nothing more than an annoying political advert during the continuing soap opera of "days of our pollie lives".

Indeed. I think many have noted - 'Policy' is not sexy, never has been. The media is only drawn to the gimmicks generally, so the pollies resort, that's the cycle to get the 30 secs in the new bulletin. As too Soap Operas - they're gold for an opposing side who will milk it for all it's worth, like in these recent cases. But under the Gillard govt. as I discussed, the bar has lowered more and inpart, thanks to some parties like Alan Jones leading the way.

BTW Leadership speculation is technically over till next election, with the whole hanging of Rudd episode. But they finally get that out of the way and they shoot the other foot - It's clear for most that the govt HAS to hang onto Thomson 'for the vote/majority' same too with 'Slipper.'

All a product of the 'Minority Government' again - Too, too many people don't recognise how this context, scenario, is presenting some of these problems that a government would otherwise not face to this degree. It sure does make things seem worse, more awkward for the government - But maybe it may work out with Slipper anyway, if he's given the clear in all this. Atleast they may be seen to not condemning a man based on pure allegations or something. The Thomson thing is far worse though, in terms of he being from the party and the Fair Work Australia findings against him, suspension of HSU etc.

Like Admiral said, when the inevitable time comes and he finally has to step aside, so the government losing numbers, I guess we'll see what the government's been so afraid of and Abbott's Libs will get what they've been asking, another election right?

FTR There's alot of presumption Libs will be next government, but trends reflect, there's no guarantees and incumbent governments, especially who navigated through difficulty like the GFC AND Minority Government can still hold up well, same goes for Obama over in the US. Some analysts suggested at NSW level anyway, a Minority Govt can follow up next election to win majority, depending on its performance I guess in the Minority period.

Alot too will depend on the impacts, or how people perceive the impacts of the coming Carbon Tax from June. People bemoan the 'compensation for what?' ads, but the working and middle income households it's targeted for may not mind too much come it's implementation. We saw how Howard's Govt. weren't affected by a GST fall out, the same phenom could happen with the Carbon Tax, well that's what the Labor government are hoping.
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,885.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:37 pm
i am so over this leadership spill / speculation crap!

someone either chops off julia or kevin's head (preferably both) and be done with it!
Cash on hand: 8,772.50
Bank: 664,684.00
Mood: Sad
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:36 pm
Cellar Door wrote:Alot too will depend on the impacts, or how people perceive the impacts of the coming Carbon Tax from June. People bemoan the 'compensation for what?' ads, but the working and middle income households it's targeted for may not mind too much come it's implementation. We saw how Howard's Govt. weren't affected by a GST fall out, the same phenom could happen with the Carbon Tax, well that's what the Labor government are hoping.

Pensioners to get carbon tax compensation

Pensioners will receive their first carbon price compensation on Monday.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard says single pensioners will receive a one-off payment of $250 and couples $380. The amounts apply to full and part pensions.

"This assistance is there to help people with the flow-through impact of putting a price on carbon," Ms Gillard told reporters in Canberra on Sunday.

From March next year, single pensioners will receive an extra $338 each year, paid at the same time as their normal pension. Couples will receive an extra $510.

Ms Gillard said millions of pensioners will be better off.

Compensation worth $707 million will be paid to pensioners before the carbon price starts on July 1.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/847 ... mpensation

We are both pensioners (disability/carers). The price of electricity is just going to get higher with the usual increase on 1st July plus the carbon tax being passed on. These payments are just a drop in a bucket. Australia should be looking at other sources of generating electricity (solar, wind farms, even nuclear). We have solar panels on the roof of our building for our unit but we are still paying around $40 a month for power, which will only go up now the colder weather is here.

The cost of everything is going to go up just you watch. :evil:

I noticed today that Julia is going up in the polls now the carbon tax payments are being paid into bank accounts - it will be lucky to pay half of one quarter's electricity bill :roll:
The power of submission lies not in the ability to kneel before another, to give over one's body or in the wearing of a collar.
The power of submission can be found only in the heart of one who gives her love to another freely knowing what joy and pain will come of it - Roguer
Golden Globe Nominee
Cash on hand: 3,870.20
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:09 am
I paid my electricity bill yesterday and you know it still shits me when I look at the G S fuc***g T on it.
What are to odds that will be increase when donkey ears gets into power with his creative accounting team. :evil:
In the game of life always back self-interest.
Cash on hand: 8,772.50
Bank: 664,684.00
Mood: Sad
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:40 am
bugaluggs wrote:I paid my electricity bill yesterday and you know it still shits me when I look at the G S fuc***g T on it.
What are to odds that will be increase when donkey ears gets into power with his creative accounting team. :evil:

New Zealand has GST on EVERYTHING. I think it's up to 15% now. Australia count yourselves lucky you only pay 10% and your basic grocery items are exempt!
The power of submission lies not in the ability to kneel before another, to give over one's body or in the wearing of a collar.
The power of submission can be found only in the heart of one who gives her love to another freely knowing what joy and pain will come of it - Roguer
Golden Globe Nominee
Cash on hand: 3,870.20
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:42 am
Rayne wrote:
your basic grocery items are exempt!

Thanks to the Democrats. Howard had it on EVERYTHING.
In the game of life always back self-interest.
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:50 pm
*talks simplemindedly*

How about:

She lines up at full forward for the Western Bulldogs?

"Football" is popular isnt it?

Didnt she once say there was a greater chance of her lining up at full forward for the Western BUlldogs than her becoming prime minister?

Game Show Contestant
Cash on hand: 65.00
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:55 am
bugaluggs wrote:
Rayne wrote:
your basic grocery items are exempt!

Thanks to the Democrats. Howard had it on EVERYTHING.

Only as a bargaining chip, though. Howard was a great chess player.

Based on the current crop of potential Prime Ministers, we are a doomed country. Where is Sir Humphrey in our hour of need? In Tony Abbott we have the farcest and the furious, a doomsayer of epic proportion. In Julia Gillard we have a femme fatalist, who will do and do over anyone and anything that stands between her and staying in office.

John Howard made unpopular decisions, was not popular, and still held onto office. Sadly for Ms Gillard (and happily for others) it is likely to be a case of two out of three ain't bad.
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 36,540.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:39 pm
CONDEMNED666 wrote:"Football" is popular isnt it?

You sure have a bug up your ass about Australian rules being more popular than rugby league.
Modest to the top.
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:38 pm
PreviousNext

Return to News, Current Affairs & Politics