Australian Politics Test

Discuss news and current affairs. Please enter with an open mind. Strictly no personal attacks.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 44,213.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:14 pm
This was the results of my test one year ago (to the day!):

[quote:0e41d66492]
Party preference:
Greens 92%
Australian Democrats 87.6%
Labor Party 74%
Family First 35%
Liberal Party 21.6%
National Party 18.6%
One Nation 31.2%

Your broad political orientation score is -52.3%, which equates to a ‘Left’ position

Your economic policy score score is -19.8%. This equates to a ‘Centre Left’ position

Your social policy score is -66%. This equates to a ‘Left’ position

Your traditional values score is -90.9%. This equates to a ‘Far Left’ position

http://www.ozpolitics.info/blog/index.php?page_id=206&id=fad479af48d15a436069f9b72f40c438[/quote:0e41d66492]

This is the results of the test I have done just now!:

[quote:0e41d66492]
Party preference:
Greens 94%
Australian Democrats 91.9%
Labor Party 76.9%
Family First 42.9%
Liberal Party 29%
National Party 22.6%
One Nation 19.8%

Your broad political orientation score is -64.7%, which equates to a ‘Left’ position

Your economic policy score score is -36.2%. This equates to a ‘Centre Left’ position

Your social policy score is -54%. This equates to a ‘Left’ position Traditional values

Your traditional values score is -98.1%. This equates to a ‘Far Left’ position

http://www.ozpolitics.info/blog/index.php?page_id=206&id=77a332bdc2b5e90b20c50f6f1de86bb6[/quote:0e41d66492]
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,356.30
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:53 pm
I think our views have all strengthened.

Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:27 pm
Greens 52.1%
Australian Democrats 61.8%
Labor Party 47.5%
Family First 37.3%
Liberal Party 54.5%
National Party 43.3%
One Nation 57.7%

No clear winner, and some are less than 10% away from each other. No wonder I don't give a crap about politics; none of the parties follow my beliefs.

http://www.ozpolitics.info/blog/index.php?page_id=206&id=1d3a6df1bd0dd6d3775ae9ab87181e17
Cash on hand: 3,728.30
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:07 pm
Yorick, I would however note the earlier conv between myself and Volantares when we were stress-testing the system and figured out how it operated. I think http://www.politicalcompass.org is overall more reliable, as it's been developed by experts, although is a bit more US-weighted. I was somewhere in the direction of Nelson Mandela when I last did that one.

Note that an extra page of questions has been added since a year ago - the last one about issues like the hijab and so on.

Then:
[quote:68d3ecf7cd] - Greens 84.6%
- Australian Democrats 72.5%
- Labor Party 65.0%
- Family First 29.5%
- Liberal Party 26.3%
- National Party 27.7%
- One Nation 34.6% [/quote:68d3ecf7cd]

Now:

[quote:68d3ecf7cd]- Greens 88.6%
- Australian Democrats 87.2%
- Labor Party 79.7%
- Family First 49.1%
- Liberal Party 35.1%
- National Party 29.4%
- One Nation 21.2% [/quote:68d3ecf7cd]

note oddly that only one nation went down, and all others (even the Libs and Family First) went up.
Emmy Nominee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:32 am
"If the medical evidence shows something is harmful, the government should regulate it."

What's their definition of harmful? Completely stupid question and it doesn't actually ask what it's intending:

The government should ban drugs that have medicinal value for ethical or other non-medical reasons.

All drugs are harmful (yes.. really!), so perhaps the government should "regulate" them all. In literal terms they do, but it's not the intended question.

Greens 73.4%
Australian Democrats 83%
Labor Party 74.3%
Family First 52.7%
Liberal Party 52.2%
National 41.7%
One Nation 40.3%
It's arguably more accurate than the first one, since the Dems are now clearer leaders. Unfortunately voting for them is difficult. Perhaps I wasn't quite as far-left in some of my traditional answers, showing bias perhaps due to my knowledge of how the questionnaire works. Questionnaires are reknowned for atrocious reproducability.
Last edited by Volantares on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Emmy Nominee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 am
[quote:fc9a0551a3="modecko"]Also read up on the history of why marijuana was first made illegal (J Edgar Hoover had a big hand in it), which destroyed a flourishing world wide industry at the time to the benefit of another which had vested interests.

It has always been incongruous to me that all the reasons given for marijuana being illegal apply even more so to alcohol, and the only historical reason one is now illegal and the other is not, is the former was eating into the profits of an industry the president of the United States was very much involved in.[/quote:fc9a0551a3]

Ah yes, the conspiracy theories.

I like to think that broad social opinion makes it much easier to pass legislation, rather than unpopular backroom deals that were never reversed later on by someone else.

The SOCIAL reason why marijuana was banned back then was because it was the drug of choice of the 'spics, the same way that opium (but not morphine/ethanol mix) was banned because of the Chinamen. Whether ulterior motives exist is irrelevant, the legislation SURVIVED because people didn't want to associate with those groups.
Last edited by Volantares on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emmy Nominee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:49 am
[quote:d202acf062="Yorick"]Greens 52.1%
Australian Democrats 61.8%
Labor Party 47.5%
Family First 37.3%
Liberal Party 54.5%
National Party 43.3%
One Nation 57.7%

No clear winner, and some are less than 10% away from each other. No wonder I don't give a **** about politics; none of the parties follow my beliefs.[/quote:d202acf062]

You will find that most people will have parties that are closer than 10% near each other. A lot of parties follow each other policy wise (e.g. Libs/Nats and to lesser extent One Nation/(Packer) Family First). As far as the party percentages are concerned, the questions are treated as a YES/NO type scenario, i.e. there is no weighting, so they just match (dis)agree with political party policy.

May I suggest that the reason why your results are so low is because your graph appears to be fairly libertarian, and there isn't a true libertarian party in Australia.

It's a perfect example of why the the pairing of the economic and conservative right do not match very well at all. The two groups (particularly in factions of the Liberal party) have matched up for politican survival, not because of policy similarity.

The same thing in the Republican party in the USA and Bush's policy that satisfied no-one in regards to illegal workers in the USA. The economists wanted to keep them, the conservatives wanted to send them packing.
Last edited by Volantares on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:53 pm
[quote:963f5d25c1="traveller"]I think http://www.politicalcompass.org is overall more reliable, as it's been developed by experts, although is a bit more US-weighted.[/quote:963f5d25c1]
I'm a right libertarian. Aren't they kind of opposites? I guess one is economical and the other is social... so Iif I had my way there'd be people having abortions whilst making a living in a deregulated market?
Emmy Nominee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:38 pm
[quote:103fa6999b="Yorick"]I'm a right libertarian. Aren't they kind of opposites? I guess one is economical and the other is social... so Iif I had my way there'd be people having abortions whilst making a living in a deregulated market?[/quote:103fa6999b]

In your "opposites" comment, you were thinking of liberalism, not libertarianism. Liberalism believes in equality and that the government should play a role in ensuring that things are equal for everyone, whether it be in rights, or in economics, or both (obviously there are different types of liberals). Usually it's associated with social equality.

Libertarianism believes that the government should play a limited role in society, and that the more free the society, the more happy/better society. A left libertarian is someone who believes in economic equality, but a limited role in government and more importantly, freedom is absolutely preserved. A right-wing libertarian believes that the government has very little role in society, apart from defense and other basics, and that all freedoms should be preserved over security or other issues. If anything, right-wing libertarianism is more common, which is what I was suggesting you were (very strongly left on traditional values, such as freedom in euthanasia/marriage/etc, very right socially and economically, which basically means low govt taxes and expenditure, and decreased importance of govt in society).

I'm sure you could find an independant candidate that would more closely match your views.
Last edited by Volantares on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cash on hand: 3,728.30
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:23 pm
[quote:9b2c04cc65="Yorick"][quote:9b2c04cc65="traveller"]I think http://www.politicalcompass.org is overall more reliable, as it's been developed by experts, although is a bit more US-weighted.[/quote:9b2c04cc65]
I'm a right libertarian. Aren't they kind of opposites? I guess one is economical and the other is social... so Iif I had my way there'd be people having abortions whilst making a living in a deregulated market?[/quote:9b2c04cc65]

Agreed with Volantares. You're basically the sort of person for whom a party doesn't exist in Australia, and for whom the US Democrats, Canadian Liberal Party, the German Free Liberal Democrats, the NZ ACT Party and the UK Liberal Democrats exist in other countries.

Basically an (economic) right libertarian (as the PC site would call it) would be someone who values life and liberty and believes that people should be able to do as they please as long as it hurts nobody, that governments should stay out of most things, and that morality is not the role or place of government to legislate but an individual decision. There isn't too many conflicts in any of that.
PreviousNext

Return to News, Current Affairs & Politics