NRL & AFL Footy Shows

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 108,401.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:54 am
[quote:6c14f9112f] After 6 years Paul “The Chief” Harragon has quit Channel Nine’s NRL Footy Show. Harragon says a revamp of the program has given him little choice but to move on, notes the Daily Telegraph.

“The Footy Show, like any business is undergoing big changes for its future success,” the former Newcastle captain said yesterday.

“I was very pleased to be offered a role as a part of that future, however after some careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that the time is right for me to move on.”

A revamp of the NRL Footy Show follows an overhaul of Nine’s AFL Footy Show which have seen the end of comedian Trevor Marmalade’s role, following contract negotiations with the network. In December Nine’s Executive Producer of Entertainment Tim Cleary announced the signing of former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas to Footy Classified which “completed” a revamp of its three AFL shows.

But the NRL had a difficult year, losing viewers and finishing the year on a low. Nine’s director of event television Gary Burns said Harragon’s lively personality and humour would be missed.

“While Paul’s decision is understandable it is still sad,” he said.

“He was one of the prime-time originals and is much loved by not only the audience but his fellow hosts and all of the production staff.”
[/quote:6c14f9112f]
source: Tv tonight

poor Footy Show. First it was Sterling leaving, now it's Harragon. I'm not a huge fan of the chief, but it will be sad for him to go.
Tonight Show Host
Cash on hand: 5.00
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:29 pm
i'm glad that the 'Chief' is leaving the footy show. He's boring!
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 44,213.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:55 pm
Paul Harragon was easily the worst person on that show, which is pretty bad considering how mediocre the whole show is.
Cash on hand: 135.00
Bank: 1,877,229.20
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:05 am
I loved the Chief ... that's gold!!
Enjoy a challenge, visit the following thread and see if you can join the High IQ Society
Golden Globe Winner
Cash on hand: 7,220.40
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:40 pm
[quote:672f6e164b]
[size=18:672f6e164b]Footy Show pushed to show its pink side[/size:672f6e164b]

On Thursday night The NRL Footy Show got very touchy feely, giving support to a match between Penrith and Manly to aid the National Breast Councer Foundation. Players appeared decked out in pink uniform as part of the “Real Mean Wear Pink in the NRL” week.

On the same episode Paul “Fatty” Vautin interviewed two team members from the Sydney Convicts Rugby Club, a local gay community team which has twice won the Bingham Cup, an international tournament amongst gay football teams, who have also appeared in the SBS documentary, Walk Like a Man.

Recently, the NRL Footy Show has come under criticism for a comedy sketch on May 7th in which Matthew Johns played a character named “Elton Johns”. In the sketch, “Elton” is taken to hospital for being gay, with brother Andrew saying “I’m so ashamed of him”. The clip has been withdrawn from YouTube.

The NSW Anti-Discrimination Board (ADB) has since accepted a complaint lodged by gay activist Gary Burns against the show. Nine says the skit was taken out of context and has since apologised to Burns. The ADB is now seeking a copy of the offending broadcast, and the matter is expected to go to court unless successfully conciliated beforehand. Part of the conciliation is said to require a segment on The Footy Show “explaining the dangers and ramifications of homosexual vilification and the reasons why it is wrong.”

The Sydney Convicts appeared on Thursday agreeing that the sketch was in poor taste.

“To explain why we exist I think you’d look no further than maybe some of the skits that you guys show on this show from time to time,” said vice president Matt Vagulans.

“A couple of weeks ago you had one with the Johns brothers, and the fictitious younger gay guy who because he was gay was seen to be hopeless at sport, and even worse than that was ostracised by his family and seen as faulty by his father.”

Vautin questioned Vagulans about whether he took offence at some of the show’s humour.

“The one a couple of weeks ago, especially as it was targetting a young, gay kid growing up was particularly offensive to the community and even our people in the wider community because it reinforced the kind of idea you could be rejected by your father or by your coach or by your peers…”

“But in general you’re fine with the show?” asked Vautin.

You can check the clip for the rest of the conversation.

Rather curiously, The Footy Show only featured the Sydney Convicts after it was facing a potential case with the Anti-Discrimination Board. The Sydney Convicts won their first cup in 2006, yet it’s taken three years to attract the attention of The Footy Show.

Paul Vautin, who also hosted a segment with openly-gay Today show commentator Richard Reid learning to kick, was sure to thank the Sydney Convicts for “lending us your support.”

Indeed.
[/quote:672f6e164b]

[u:672f6e164b]You can watch the clip here:[/u:672f6e164b]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnaibyP-T1A[/url]

Source: http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/06/footy-show-pushed-to-show-its-pink-side.html

Buffy Body Double
Cash on hand: 1,197.50
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:32 pm
The NRL Footy Show needs a revamp as bad as the Sydney Roosters needs players that want to win a game. Andrew Voss is as exciting as a melted ice cream as bright as a dark night and as funny as a heart attack

GET RID OF HIM NOW

Reality Show Contestant
Cash on hand: 130.00
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:20 pm
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the theme song used.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:18 am
i don't know the name of the song. Sorry

Just letting you know that there is a ''Footy Show' topic in the sports cection for future posts :)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:26 am
**bump*

how the NRL Footy Show winning the Logie for Most Popular Sports Program is still a disbelief to me. It's not as ''popular'' as the AFL version nor the Sports Tonight shows on the weekends or even Before the Bounce show.

As much as i like rugby league, i think that the show has it's last run!

The Sunday Footy Show is good, as is the parts i see on the AFL Footy Show on Thursdays up late (i'm from Sydney, so i only see parts of thusrday's show and nothing on sundays for the AFL version)

I reckon that Nine should air the NRL footy show later on thursday nights!

Reality Show Contestant
Cash on hand: 130.00
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:28 pm
I was wondering if anyone knows the theme song used on the NRL Sunday footy show this year? It has "can you feel it" in the lyrics.
PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room