AFL

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.

TVAus Rookie
Cash on hand: 2.50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:20 pm
Well the finals are almost upon us. September action here we come. Who do people think will be victorious at the end of September?
- syl
Golden Globe Nominee
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:11 pm
As an ex-aussie rules fan, [b:1835e2ed08]Glenelg [color=yellow:1835e2ed08]Tigers[/b:1835e2ed08][/color:1835e2ed08] (The Bays) fan, and now a rugby league fan, I have no idea whats going on in the afl, but [b:1835e2ed08]GO PORT [color=white:1835e2ed08]ADELAIDE[/color:1835e2ed08][/b:1835e2ed08]

I'm now going to wash my mouth out with dettol and a steel brush
Oscar Presenter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:17 pm
im proud of my PIEs... and i dont think its a great deal off thinking that they may win this years cup...

ill tell you this: i think it will be a good match - [i:f57ba20428]sidebar: as long as a vic team is in it... hehehe[/i:f57ba20428]
Duffman can never die, only the actors who play him.
[imgc1]http://users.bigpond.net.au/x-web/images/duffman.jpg[/imgc1]
ER Surgeon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:58 am
I went with my heart

But after watching the abysmal example that passed for a footy game on Saturday night between the Pies and the Swans....i can't really see either of them beating Port at the moment - I know I know - I should wash my mouth out (Yes Duffman I will be made to burn all my collingwood paraphenalia and shunned!).

However, did anyone see that game - the pies played like a premiership team for the first 13 or so minutes. The Swans played like a team of under nines - actually I think i've seen under nines play better, and then collingwood joined them for the rest of the 1st, all of the second and most of the third quarter.

Both teams had flashes of brilliance, marred by long spells of inadequacy towards the end of the third and through the fourth quarter.

I am sorry (I know it was wet) - but this is not the way to win a Premiership - against an inform side such as Port.

I hate to say it but I think (barring a big finals choke) that Port Adelaide may have a bit of a Cakewalk finals series.

I'm hoping Mick Malthouse - who has pulled the Pies back from the brink can work some magic in the next few weeks and get my Pies into shape....
Sports Presenter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:46 pm
[quote:7b2045607f]Sheedy slams tripping rule

AFL defends Fletcher suspension

Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy wants the tripping by hand rule to be thrown out.

In the wake of defender Dustin Fletcher's one-match suspension at the AFL Tribunal, Sheedy said the result had opened a 'can of worms'.

"I thought he was unlucky, that's what I said to him and don't get too down in the dumps about it," Sheedy said at Windy Hill on Wednesday.

"We'll have to (cop it on the chin)," he added, with the club electing not to pursue an appeal.

The Essendon coach was also disappointed to have Fletcher the first player in 10 years to be cited for tripping by hand.

"I'd like to see it thrown out. I know it's only a personal opinion and I'm entitled to a personal opinion. Even if a person grabs another person on the foot and holds their foot, they'll be taken down as a trip. We've opened up a can of worms there."

"You're not quite sure whether people at the AFL understand what players are going through out on the footy field. It's a long time since they've actually played the game and/or they've never played the game and they wouldn't have a clue."

"It was a free kick, the umpire paid a free kick and he didn't report him. When you come in over the top, you just wonder where it's all going."[/quote:7b2045607f]

All i can say about this is what a crock!, the AFL brought in this rule so players who cannot get at the opponent can grab them around the foot and trip them up to stop them going further. Just because one of his players get suspended from it, he has to whinge about it. I say tough luck. It's dangerous tripping someone and it (the rule) should stay.

TVAus Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:12 pm
I hate essendon and sheedy but on this one I agree. I think that it should be a free kick (for tripping) and maybe a 50 metre penalty if it was extreme, but not a suspension. It really is on par with pushing someone into the ground, potentially slightly dangerous but only worth a free kick, not a week off.
- syl

TVAus Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:13 pm
BTW I did not vote in the poll because I don't think it should be legal, it should still be against the rules. Just the punishment changed from suspension and free kick to just a free kick.
- syl
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,111.70
Bank: 6,216,997.00
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:14 am
Definately tripping should be illegal. But I'd see somewhere between a free kick and suspension would be best, say maybe a 50 metres call.
Tonight Show Host
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:49 am
I too think that Sheedy opens his fat mouth too often, but he generally has a strong influence on the game and usually what sheedy wants, sheedy gets.

In this instance i feel tripping shouldn't be treated any different to a high tackle (both are going to knock your opponent down and cause possible/unecessary injury)... but how is an umpire/tribunal going to know when a high tackle was deliberate or not. Perhaps that's why high tackles, push in the back etc are all just free kicks.

One stupid incident i remember once was when a player got reported for tripping because his shoelace got caught in one of his opponents studs and they both fell over. It was withdrawn quick smart though thankfully.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 44,213.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:59 am
mike malthouse is more annoying.
Modest to the top.
Next

Return to The Locker Room