2014 FIFA World Cup - Brazil

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 108,429.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:57 pm
for the Greek game, I didn't expect win to go through to the round of 16. But am happy nonetheless.

I watched the last 10 or minutes of the game this morning. It was 1-all and thought, hmmph we didn't make it. Even when the player fell at the end (in full speed) I thought nothing of it. But when the ref blew the whistle for a penalty and the slow motion replays aired, I thought "you sneaky bastard". lol. But am glad he scored though.

As for Suerez "biting incident". Bloody goose. Yeah, bite when there's one billion people watching!

Who would have thought that Italy, England and Spain are out in the first round (and to an extent Japan). Would have liked to see the odds of that from a few weeks back. lol
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:20 pm
CONDEMNED666 wrote:Anyway in terms of being able to predict how well teams would go in this tournament, it was no surprise that the South American nations, even a token team like Ecuador, Costa rica and Honduras, would do well because playing in Brasil is pretty much playing 'home' games. At other world cups in Europe or somewhere colder, the Latin American / Iberian American nations (Brasil included) usually get frozen out

There is definitely a tendency for teams playing in "home games" to perform better than in games staged in foreign environments, but that tendency is not particularly pronounced. You mentioned Brazil, for example. Let's have a look at the record. Brazil has won the world championship five times. On two of those occasions its team was definitely not hindered by playing "away" games or being "frozen out". It won in Sweden and in Japan.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:36 pm
yellow sock wrote:.

As for Suerez "biting incident". Bloody goose. Yeah, bite when there's one billion people watching!

It's his third biting incident to go along with racially abusing a player in the past and he's been banned for both. The talk is Fifa have already looked into this latest one and he could be banned for the maximum 2 years. Not a bad days work for a guy looking to be the latest £80m signing in the summer.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:34 pm
Group stage is over Image . now, no team can afford to lose any game from this point onwards

And in other news, Luis Suarez has been given a lenient penalty for biting, its the european offseason of football, which goes for exactly... 4 months, which means he will miss no football

What a weak pitiful organisation fifa is

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:21 pm
So far at this tournament we have had 136 goals scored, 9 less than the entirety of the 2010 tournament and the group stage only just finished. 16 games to go and 36 goals need to be scored to break the record of the 1998 World Cup.

CONDEMNED666 wrote:
And in other news, Luis Suarez has been given a lenient penalty for biting, its the european offseason of football, which goes for exactly... 4 months, which means he will miss no football

What a weak pitiful organisation fifa is

I think I read he'll miss football until October, so he does miss some football but not enough for his track record. Hell, last season he played his first game in late September because he was suspended for the start of the season (and the end of the previous one) because of..... biting. :roll:

So two straight seasons he misses the start of seasons because of the same incident and Fifa thinks their suspension length is adequate. What would have been more adequate is if the suspension is for the rest of Uruguay's World Cup campaign, "pauses" during the summer break, and then commences the 4 months right at the middle of August when the season officially gets underway. Fifa are actually counting the one and a half months after the World Cup when everyone is on break.
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:19 pm
Not to sound nihilistic

But theres only so much soccer or sport one can watch

How do I know?

When I visited a lucrative tennis tournament, I had a small conversation with one of the ushers that worked at the tournament, she was a member of the navy, and she said, I've seen enough tennis for one lifetime

Aint it true?

But how do I unknow what I know? :|
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:16 am
and greece have thwarted this morning by the might of costa rica, with the likes of joel campbell being the key players :roll:

Cash on hand: 108,429.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:57 pm
I'm so happy that Greece made it into the group of 16. But nonetheless, I don't like seeing them lose in a shoot-out. I like winning the shootouts, but don't like being on the other side! lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:46 pm
For a 0-0 draw after 90 minutes the Germany/Algeria game was still a bit exciting. Germany went through 2-1 in the end to play France, who beat Nigeria, 2-0 in the earlier game. Argentina vs Switzerland and Belgium vs USA tomorrow to round out the last 16 games but for the love of god no extra time or penalties.

Greece were a bit unfortunate not to go through yesterday. But that's the difference between the forwards of Germany, Argentina etc and Greece. Those teams would never waste a 5 on 2 opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:25 am
Ask and I shall receive. Both games this morning went into extra time.

I think this might be the first World Cup tournament where all the group winners won their round of 16 matches and advanced to the Quarter Finals in the current format.
PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room