2014 FIFA World Cup - Brazil

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 108,429.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am
I couldn't find a thread, so I thought i would start this one

The 2014 FIFA World Cup will be held next year in Brazil. 24 out of the 32 teams have made it through, including Australia. The remaining teams to qualify will go through over the next 24 hours.

What do you reckon about the Socceroos chances?
Cash on hand: 13,690.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:14 am
Very slim, I hate to say, but at least they are there.
I'm looking forward to it. We're going to be in the UK while it's on, so viewing times will be better over there.

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:09 pm
Australia will get dumped out in the Group stages and I shudder to think if they were in a potential "Group of Death". They're a very poor side tbh. The team should've had an overhaul a while ago, but now they've become predictable. Australia used to be solid, but now I worry for them at the World Cup.

I don't know if this is confirmed, but this is what could put Australia in a Group of death

The draw: Probable pots

Pot 1 (seeds)

Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, *Uruguay, Switzerland,

Pot 2 (Concacaf, Asia)

Costa Rica, Honduras, **Mexico/New Zealand, USA, Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea.

Pot 3 (South America, Africa + lowest-ranked European team)

Chile, Ecuador, Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, France (21)

Pot 4 (Europe)

Bosnia-Herzegovinia, England, Italy, Russia, Netherlands, Portugal, Croatia, Greece.

Australia could face a group like Brazil, France, Netherlands.

I didn't say England as they're fairly awful too. :mrgreen: Now England are a team that get the "big" team label but they're really not. They might make the a Quarter finals, but look crap doing it. Germany are favourites IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:25 pm
4:20am: So here are our groups:

Group A:Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
Group B:Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
Group C:Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan
Group D:Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy
Group E:Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras
Group F:Argentina, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria
Group G:Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA
Group H:Belgium, Algeria, Russia, Korea Republic

Um, yeah! :lol:

Australia couldn't possibly receive a harder group. It's titled the "Group of Death". Although if we were going by World Rankings then Group G should be given that title.

England has been given a hard group and of course France would be given the easiest.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:38 am
sigh.

I don't like our group either. We need another '06 miracle to make it into the round of 16.
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:30 am
Yikes. The Aussies are going to have another tough road ahead. I don't see it happening to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:37 am
I just hope halftime and post-game coverage of World Cup matches are better than listening to David Zdrillic and Ned Zelic, meaning I hope SBS hire a couple of college students to replace them. They are just terrible to listen to. Having A-League and Champions League matches on SBS is great but everything to those guys (especially Zelic) is awful or boring. "That was the most boring half of football I've ever watched...". I hope they leave the World Cup alone and aren't part of the coverage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:41 pm
Radamel Falcao is out of the World Cup after going down with a serious knee injury. Columbia had a very good chance of going far with their best lineup and he's one of the best striker in the world, so it's all but killed their World Cup hopes. Such a shame to lose a quality player like that from the tournament.

Abby, all those groups above are confirmed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:03 am
not long to go now until it begins. In fact, it starts in less than 2 weeks

The Socceroos have already arrived in Brazil. I think they're the first country to head over. They've had a few training sessions so far.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:09 am
Designed to suit the eurocentric audience, Australia is a terrible time zone to watch the World Cup
:X

Even in a time zone like Brazil they could schedule Australia to play their matches at 8pm Rio time we would get to watch socceroos matches first thing in the morning over breakfast

But no, the euro snobs choose to play socceroos matches at 2 to 4am our time, if Fifa scheduled the final at in the earlier evening they would have easily got a 100 million more viewers as there would have been viewers from South East Asia tuning in

I think i'll just stick to watching 2 minute highlight packages just to save the effort of getting up

In terms of modernisation, the world is becoming easier to access through the click of a button (ie the internet) Fifa is ignorant in failing to understand how the whole world prefers the ease of access rather than getting up to watching the final, the idea of the world cup being the world's biggest event stands to lose its lustre, just like how Fifa is scheduled to host the world cup in Qatar, a country with less than a million people
Next

Return to The Locker Room