Before the Game (channel ten)

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 108,391.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 am
i couldn't find a topic on this, so i decided to make one.

Does anyone watch ''Before the Game'' on Channel Ten? It's been airig for a while now, at i think 6 or 6.30pm (and where i'm from - aka - Sydney - airs way too late!)

I like this show, and covers the game in a light-hearted way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:26 am
And the show is moving to Thursdays, as of June 21.
TEN is set to move Before the Game from Saturdays to Thursdays, to screen at 8:30pm before Nine’s long-running Footy Show.

The Herald Sun reports the switch will take place from mid-June.

TEN is hoping it will lift its Thursday audiences in Melbourne and potentially stop viewers from switching to The Footy Show at 9:30pm. But die-hard AFL fans are likely to sample both shows.

A bigger concern will be for The Marngrook Footy Show currently screening on ABC2 at 8:30. Last night it had 63,000 viewers and those numbers could be hit hard by the popularity of TEN’s family-friendly AFL show.

Given Before the Game uses the same studio space as The Project it’s also going to be hell for crews, to turn around sets with just 90 minutes between two live shows.

UPDATE: BTG on TEN in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth at 8:30pm and in Sydney and Brisbane on ONE at 10:30pm from Thursday June 21.

source - tvtonight

thoughts of this?

obviously, until last year, the show had relatively good success on Saturday nights on Channel Ten, thanks to the AFL proceeding it. This year, with the tv rights changing, hasn't been that flash hot it the ratings.

I just hope that it doesn't completly flop on Thursday nights on Ten.

NB (as a sydney-sider): I will be tuning in on ONE at 10.30pm in Sydney for the show, then flicking over to Nine for the AFL Footy Show at 11.30 (the NRL version always runs overtime!). Suits the handful of afl viewers in Sydney ell (well, those who can stay up late. lol)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:00 am
thoughts of how the show went tonight on a Thursday, rather than on a Saturday night?

I thought that the hosts humour was the same, and although there no no Friday and Saturday Arvo game reviews as per normal, the show ran smoothly. The interview with CEO Andrew Demitriou helped the show go through this transistion perfectly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:14 am
the show is back for 2013, and is moving back to Saturday nights.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:00 am
and sadly, the show has been axed!

EXCLUSIVE: Long running AFL football show Before the Game has been axed by TEN.

A TEN spokesperson confirmed to TV Tonight, “Before The Game will not be returning in 2014.

“Thank you to Roving Enterprises and the cast of After The Game and then Before The Game, who did a great job over the past 11 years.”

Dave Hughes recently announced his departure as a permanent host of The Project, but the latest move now sheds more light on his commitments with TEN. Before the Game also Andrew Maher, Mick Molloy, Ryan Fitzgerald, Anthony Lehmann and Neroli Meadows.

But the show is yet hoping for another lease of life. Kevin Whyte from Roving Enterprises told TV Tonight, “Before The Game is an iconic Melbourne show with an amazing cast and crew and we thank Ten for 11 amazing years.

"We are exploring other options for the show in 2014.”

The panel show began on TEN in a late night slot in 2003 as After the Game before moving to an earlier timeslot as Before the Game.

source - http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/12/axe ... -game.html

I'm surprised with the move to axe it. I thought it would last for years to come. It has also been nominated numerous times at the Logies for Sports Program.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,925.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:31 pm
thats too bad, because the show was a cultural institution that blended life with AFL football in melbourne

its something rugby league never looked into in Qld and NSW, a youth oriented show to humanise sport and the people who played it which gave the sport an impression it was part of the national mindset

But now its gone
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:42 pm
This sucks because this is the best AFL show out there beating everything in its wake. I'm disappointed in TEN. Unfortunately i don't think we will see it turn up on another network but hopefully it does but i'm doubtful about it.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,925.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:32 pm
In terms of humanising players of sport this was the show which was more successful than any other
You can see the obvious differencesd with the cricketers, who look awkward and uncomfortable in all their promo ads and come off as arrogant pricks on the field

Whereas before the game made it look like a player like Harry o'brien would play guitar, or a player like Luke Macfarlane would play guitar

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 pm
Channel Ten has been rating quite poorly lately on Saturday nights. Would a return of Before the Game and help out Ten? Or is it too late of a comeback?

Return to The Locker Room