SBS Soccer

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 108,429.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:30 pm
what does everyone thin of SBS's coverage of soccer.

soccer is shown on sunday 12 noon - 6pm (the world game; champions league; EPL), show's the World cup; australian friendly games; major international games; and the NSL (and final series)

soccer is faced by Les Murray (over 20 years experience), johnny warren (fromer austalian player) and craig foster.

please comment - THANKS.
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:45 pm
Fantastic. SBS gives european soccer better coverage than the other FTA's treat home grown sport. What's better is having fox as well - last weekend it was possible to watch 5 live games in a row. (Theoretically possible that is :D )
Cash on hand: 8,336.60
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:59 pm
SBS is a supreme sports braodcaster. What other tv station has shows about sports that they dont even have the rights to???

Last year and the years before when they lost the rights to the NSL they still had more highlights packages and pundit type shows than the channels that owned the rights!

SBS rules in its coverage of every sport! Let alone soccer.

[i:1ba5fe305c]Nobody screws soccer like seven[/i:1ba5fe305c]
Semper Fidelis

Oscar Presenter
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:21 pm
SOmetimes watch soccer even though Im not that interested in it. I used to go for Leeds when they had Kewel and Viduka but am not as interested any more.
[imgd6]http://www.rugby.com.au/verve/_resources/Clyde_Rathbone_scores_large_image_page_image.jpg[/imgd6]
Tonight Show Host
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:22 am
I love SBS soccer, when eddie mcguire tries to promote the sport (for Australian international games) it annoys me... seems so fake, i dunno what others think but it's as if he's trying to make people jump on the soccer bandwagon. When Australia plays, naturally the country will show interest, we don't need Eddie McGuire to promote the sport, although god bless him for doing his bit, at least he's a tad more clued up than Tim Webster (Mr CantpronounceasurnamemorecomplexthanSmith).

If SBS get rid of Johnny Warren I would enjoy their programming a lot more.
Cash on hand: 8,336.60
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:56 am
[quote:a976d41a8c="Otis"]
If SBS get rid of Johnny Warren I would enjoy their programming a lot more.[/quote:a976d41a8c]

After thinking about it, I guess I can kind of see your point. Simon Hill and Craig Foster are a great team together, and have a very extensive knowledge and would fill his shoes well in the future.

Maybe youre right, maybe Johnny should start standing aside every other episode to make way for us to get use to the future crop of pundits.
Semper Fidelis
Tonight Show Host
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:10 am
I just feel that Johnny Warren sometimes speaks his mind TOO often, and tries to be controversial (when nobody really cares) as a 'special comments man'. He doesn't have the same profile as Sam Newman (in sport and/or media). And yeah i really enjoy Craig Foster and Simon Hill's work, and even Robbie Slater. Johnny Warren should be invited in as a special guest every so often.
Tonight Show Host
Cash on hand: 5.00
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:15 pm
I have 'bumped' this topic.

SBS have the sole rights to next year's World Cup (not like in 2002 where they shared it with Channel Nine). I think it's good. Although the World Cup will be very late or very early in the morning, what-ever way you look at it.

Does anyone know if there will be a special soccer show when the World Cup is on (like the Olympics with The Dream). Maybe The World Game will be on everyday instead of Sundays when the World Cup is on.
Emmy Nominee
Cash on hand: 160.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:38 pm
[quote:f7070e1307="Otis"]I

If SBS get rid of Johnny Warren I would enjoy their programming a lot more.[/quote:f7070e1307]

well he wont be coming back

ever
Support Antarctica's 2026 FIFA World Cup Bid
Hollywood Extra
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:13 am
SBS coverage of sports is really good with their Toyota World Sports bulletin nightly. I love how they cover the soccer, but it really pissed me off when they lost rights to the English Premier League early last year. I really enjoyed watching the highlights show in particular. But now the got the World Cup rights and they are showing every game it will be fantastic!
Smallville/Veronica Mars/Lost/Dexter/Prison Break/Family Guy/Summer Heights High/Heroes/Entourage/The Office/The Chaser
Next

Return to The Locker Room