FIBA World Championships

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:32 pm
the irony is
While the prominence of the NBL has slipped away from being noticed in the Australian Sports Public, even when theres not a lot else on during summer!

The Quality of the best players in Australian Basketball has improved

When the NBL was popular, the best players for Australia actually played in the NBL, but when the Boomers played they werent able to match it with the better basketball countries, whereas now- the best players that play for Australia play in another league, ie Patrick Mills, Dante Exum (and to a lesser extent Kyrie Irving)

The only thing to hope for is when these players retire from the better leagues so when they do come back to Australia, they showcase their wares in the NBL for a year or 2, something which never happened with the likes of Luc Longley

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 108,429.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:39 am
the USA beat Serbia in the Final.

I agree that the NBL was once popular. Not as much anymore. But with the likes of a handful making it "big" in the NBA, some slight interest is now higher herein Australia. But uts nowhere near where it used to be.

Now back to this "world cup". They have been occurring for few seasons now in the same year as the FIFA World Cup (aka - soccer). The Basketball "committee" have now made the next one in 2019, so it does not coincide with the soccer. It will now air it 2019, 2023, 2027 etc

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 108,429.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:23 am
I've had a quick look at the tv guide for this weekend, and apparently the Women's World Club Championship begins on Saturday night. It will air on ABC2 at 9.10pm. Australia will play Cuba.

I know our Women's team is pretty good. They did win a medal at the last Olympics (I forget what colour though). Should be a good competition, and will try to tune in
Previous

Return to The Locker Room