Cycling

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 135.00
Bank: 1,877,229.20
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:30 pm
Cadel has always done it without the help of his team. Lotto did try and get someone to help out but they then tested positive *sigh*.
Enjoy a challenge, visit the following thread and see if you can join the High IQ Society
Emmy Nominee
Cash on hand: 30.00
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:31 pm
Cadel's only chance is if he attacks more and tries to get in a breakaway and take a few risks. I know this is easy to say from my lounge instead of in the middle of a 100km bike ride up a mountain but he has nothing to lose. He may even get onto a better team next year if he attacks more this tour.
Cash on hand: 1,111.70
Bank: 6,216,997.00
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:00 pm
Well Cadel really put the effort in last night scoring tenth over the line. Fingers crossed he has enough to get him a top ten spot at least this year.

Armstrong is continuing to be held out of the yellow jersey by a few seconds still. Andy Schleck is still one I'm watching to come through over the next few mountain races.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:33 am
Congrats to Heinrich on a fantastic win! Can't wait til his considered a true Aussie!
Enjoy a challenge, visit the following thread and see if you can join the High IQ Society
Golden Globe Winner
Cash on hand: 147.50
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:39 am
He looked good! So did the Euskadel rider (Txurruka) chasing him up the last climb too.

Pity we didn't see anything of interest with the main contenders, you woulda put money on something happening the way Paul was harping on :P
(formerly korobushka)
"I love how music evokes memories of a certain time" - Pip Brown, Ladyhawke
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:57 am
[quote:88990a407b="Mercury"]Congrats to Heinrich on a fantastic win! Can't wait til his considered a true Aussie![/quote:88990a407b]

^^Yes congratulations to him. Geez that was great to watch last night. Seems a hell of a nice guy too.

VV Didn't catch up on this one though...
[quote:88990a407b][b:88990a407b]Dean OK after Tour shooting[/b:88990a407b]
Last updated 16:53 18/07/2009

New Zealand cyclist Julian Dean has got off lightly after he was hit by shots from an air gun during the 13th stage of the Tour de France overnight.

Dean, of Garmin Slipstream, and Spaniard Oscar Freire of Rabobank were hit with pellets near the 165km mark of the 200km stage in the hilly Vosges region.

"Julian was shot by an air rifle or BB gun (pellet gun) at the top of a climb during the stage. He has a minor injury on his finger but he was able to finish," Garmin-Slipstream spokeswoman Marya Pongrace told Reuters.

She said tour organisers ASO had asked police to open an investigation.

Dean said he hadn't seen anything at the time of the incident, which happened as riders were descending the Col du Platzerwassel in cool, wet and misty conditions.

"I didn't really know what happened, I was just riding along and thought I'd been hit by a stone popping up from a tyre or something," he told RadioSport afterwards.

"It split the end of my finger a little bit, but it's OK, there's no drama. It didn't bother me at all - compared to the crashes we have, it was actually pretty light really."

Freire's team report said three shots were heard.

"During the descent of the Col du Platzerwassel Freire and the New Zealander Julian Dean were shot at with an air gun. Freire was hit in a thigh, Dean in a thumb," the team statement said.

Both Dean and Freire were able to complete the stage, and a lead pellet was later removed from the Spanish sprinter's leg.

Dean said that over the three-week tour, there were 80 million spectators out on the road.

"It's amazing something like this hasn't happened before," he said. "In something like the Tour de France, you can't control the crowds very much, so I guess it's quite susceptible to something like that."

Dean's Garmin team-mate Heinrich Haussler won the 13th stage, finishing in four hours 56 minutes 26 seconds. Dean was in 112th place, 20min 21sec down on Haussler. Overall, Dean is 121st, 1hr 24min 16sec down on tour leader Rinaldo Nocetini.

Dean is lead-out man for Garmin Slipstream sprinter Tyler Farrar, and team manager Jonathan Vaughters has been more than happy with the New Zealander's performance in the tour this year.

"Julian worked for Thor Hushovd for years. He is one of the best, if not the best, lead-out riders in the world," Vaughters told Reuters yesterday.

"He has been doing an incredible job for Tyler. It's now a matter of figuring out that last little bit. We have been making a new plan every single day, it just has not worked yet."

Seven-times Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, currently poised eight seconds behind Nocetini in third place, certainly believes the Farrar-Dean combination still has a chance.

"As long as he has Julian (Dean) to do his final wheel, he'll be OK," Armstrong told reporters. "He's getting closer and he's not going away."

-NZPA[/quote:88990a407b]
[url]http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/2606289/Dean-OK-after-Tour-shooting[/url]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:15 am
Contador seems to be the new Armstrong. Powerfully dominant and head and shoulders above the pelaton. Astana are clearly the strongest team and it shows.
Golden Globe Winner
Cash on hand: 147.50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:33 am
Yeah, quite captivating to sit there and watch him pull away so effortlessly.

Cadel seemed content to just sit in the chase, he went with Sastre but other than that he wasn't attacking like he needs to. Has he resigned himself to not being able to win? Not that he'll ever win with Contador leaping off the front like that.

Maybe an early night tomorrow, woot!
(formerly korobushka)
"I love how music evokes memories of a certain time" - Pip Brown, Ladyhawke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:39 am
On a climb like that, only a special individual can attack and Contodor is that individual. Even Armstrong struggled. The Schleck brothers are renowned climbers and even they couldn't match it. Cadel is not yet in the same league but he does ride intelligently.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:44 pm
Woot!!! Great to see the Scleck's come through last night. Though they will probably drop back with the time trials now. Contodour sure looks unbeatable.
PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room