State Of Origin TV Rights

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:18 pm
[quote:af31cb3b89][b:af31cb3b89]Seven chasing State of Origin rights[/b:af31cb3b89]

The Seven Network is believed to be keen in getting rights to the National Rugby League’s State of Origin matches -the highest rating rounds of the code.

”We’re very keen to submit a bid for State of Origin and Test matches,” Mr Leckie said. ”We think Rugby League should split its properties into three, or four, with even the finals going to a separate network.”

There is speculation the NRL could unbundle its TV rights and offering four separate packages: Origin, Test matches, NRL regular-season matches and the finals series.

David Gallop, CEO of the NRL, has confirmed he would split the properties if it increased revenue.

News Ltd presently owns half the competition as well as holding a 50 per cent share in its major TV broadcaster, FOX Sports. But News Ltd has hinted it could walk away from rugby league and rescind its NRL half-ownership.

Currently the games air on Nine and FOX Sports.

TEN has also indicated interest in buying NRL regular-season matches.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Mr Leckie and Mr Gallop would win by seizing revenue from rivals – Seven taking advertising from Nine and the NRL undermining the AFL’s push into western Sydney and the Gold Coast.[/quote:af31cb3b89]

Source: [url=http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/10/seven-chasing-state-of-origin-rights.html]TV Tonight[/url]

Its an interesting thing. Ten wants weekly games, Seven wants SOO and Test Matches while News Limited might even walk away if they do it. I think its a good idea to split it even if it still ends up on Nine. That way they get the most for their dollar considering Nine paid peanuts for the rights compared to the AFL deal.
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 4,307.10
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:16 pm
This is probably just a media stunt from Seven. Nine is the home of Rugby League and no other network should take the rights away from them, I can't imagine any other broadcast network airing rugby league.

However, I'm all for splitting the TV rights for the games. SOO shouldn't be included in the NRL deal, its in its own league. Nor should international games. Hopefully, this notion picks up some steam because the amount the NRL/ARL receives from broadcast rights doesnt do justice to the product.

As for Seven going for the rights, they won't take 'em off Nine, its just a stunt so Nine have to pay a premium for the rights. This will eventually benefit the game of rugby league so I'm all for it.
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,279,451.00
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:30 pm
[quote:ae1000a1e2="Rich"]This is probably just a media stunt from Seven. Nine is the home of Rugby League and no other network should take the rights away from them, I can't imagine any other broadcast network airing rugby league.

However, I'm all for splitting the TV rights for the games. SOO shouldn't be included in the NRL deal, its in its own league. Nor should international games. Hopefully, this notion picks up some steam because the amount the NRL/ARL receives from broadcast rights doesnt do justice to the product.

As for Seven going for the rights, they won't take 'em off Nine, its just a stunt so Nine have to pay a premium for the rights. This will eventually benefit the game of rugby league so I'm all for it.[/quote:ae1000a1e2]

You can't say 9 is the home of rugby league and only they should have it.

7 had AFL rights for a bloody long while, maybe longer than 9 has had the NRL yet it got taken away from them around 10 or so years back.

10 seem even more keen than 7 in my opinion and could end up with the regular games.

-Ben
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 4,307.10
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:38 pm
Of course, Ten is interested but can they outbid Nine? Of course not. Ten's budget is a fraction of Nine or Seven.

As for Nine being the home of Rugby League, that's my opinion. Remember when the Ashes were broadcast on Channel Seven in 2001? That was an abomination.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:04 pm
[quote:16ad754d83="Rich"]Of course, Ten is interested but can they outbid Nine? Of course not. Ten's budget is a fraction of Nine or Seven.

As for Nine being the home of Rugby League, that's my opinion. Remember when the Ashes were broadcast on Channel Seven in 2001? That was an abomination.[/quote:16ad754d83]

SBS has had the last 2 ashes series and have done an awesome job. Better than what 9 could have done with it.

-Ben
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 44,213.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:19 am
[quote:78421d627d="Rich"]Nine is the home of Rugby League and no other network should take the rights away from them, I can't imagine any other broadcast network airing rugby league.[/quote:78421d627d]

That's what some said when Nine and Ten took the AFL from Seven back in 2002.

Alas, after a few weeks no one cared and the world went on turning much the same as before.
Modest to the top.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:25 am
[quote:ac4f11711c="The Miz"][quote:ac4f11711c="Rich"]Nine is the home of Rugby League and no other network should take the rights away from them, I can't imagine any other broadcast network airing rugby league.[/quote:ac4f11711c]

That's what some said when Nine and Ten took the AFL from Seven back in 2002.

Alas, after a few weeks no one cared and the world went on turning much the same as before.[/quote:ac4f11711c]

That's exactly what i said Miz. Stop copying!

-Ben
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:36 am
I think it would be a breath of fresh air to have them on a different network. But the article states Seven wants the State of Origin and Test Matches not the NRL itself, TEN have interest in that so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Although if Seven lose the AFL rights bid that might change. I actually hope Seven/TEN have the AFL. Remember Seven will be fighting tooth and nail to keep AFL as well as regaining the Olympic rights, another thing that was a shock. Seven have broadcast every Olympics bar one which was on TEN. Seven have everything to lose. So the next 5 years will be very interesting when it comes to sport and tv rights.

Sopranos Mobster
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:18 am
Can't all the stuff related to one particular code or sport, be on the same channel? I think it's stupid to have it all mixed up, like it is with the AFL and the Cricket at the moment.

Cash on hand: 108,401.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:48 pm
When does the State of Origin deal finish with Nine? The same time as the NRL? Is it the same packaged deal?

Am asking because Seven has the rights to the Rugby League World Cup later this year. And the Origin is different to the NRL Premiership competition.

Return to The Locker Room