Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 44,213.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:23 pm
[quote65][b65]2016 Olympics will go to Rio[/b65]

Rio de Janeiro will host the 2016 Olympics after the Brazilian city won a landslide victory over Madrid in the final round of voting.

International Olympic Committee members shocked everyone at the Bella Convention Centre in the Danish capital, Copenhagen, by eliminating favourites Chicago in the first voting round, despite the unprecedented personal support President Barack Obama gave the bid.

Tokyo was the next city to fall before the IOC backed Rio to become the first South American city to host the Games by a margin of 66 votes to Madrid's 32 in the final round.

A few seconds after the announcement, an almost speechless Carlos Osorio, general secretary of the Brazilian bid, told Reuters: "Overwhelming, spectacular, unbelievable."

Brazil President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was left crying tears of joy.

"I thought I would never be touched again in my life. Rio has soul, it has heart," Mr Lula told reporters.

"There was a tear dropping when I got up to the podium to speak. I was defending Brazil."

In the first round of voting, favourite Chicago went out after polling just 18 votes, despite the eloquent speeches on its behalf made by Mr Obama, the first sitting US president to address an IOC session, and first lady Michelle Obama.

Madrid led the race at that stage with 28 votes, followed by Rio on 26 and Tokyo on 22.

Rio came close to polling an absolute majority in the second round with 46 votes, followed by Madrid on 29 with Tokyo going out on 20.

The final round was not even close.

Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said: "Rio was a great candidate. It was well worth the effort. Olympic sport goes this way sometimes. We had a very good result and there will be other opportunities."

[b65]Nervous moments[/b65]

The announcement was delayed by several nervous seconds as IOC president Jacques Rogge struggled to open the envelope.

"Like in every competition there can only be one winner," Mr Rogge said.

"Tonight I have the honour to announce that the Games of the 31st Olympiad are awarded to the city of Rio de Janeiro."

Carlos Nuzman, Rio bid leader, hugged President Lula, both in tears and said: "We did it, we did it."

The Brazilian delegation broke into singing their Marvellous City song, all of them waving flags and hugging each other.

Both finalists had staged impressive final presentations, featuring heartfelt contributions from Lula for Rio and former IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch for Madrid.

Mr Lula persuaded members it was time to address the fact that South America had never hosted the Games.

The 89-year-old Mr Samaranch, who ran the IOC for more than two decades, asked voters to take his age into account.

"I know I am very near the end of my days," he said. "May I ask you to consider granting my country the honour and also the duty to organise the games in 2016?"

That tug on the heart-strings helped take Madrid into the final but could not prevent the Games going to Brazil.

- Reuters

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 703880.htm[/quote65]

I'm surprised it's never been in South America before, although perhaps I shouldn't.
Modest to the top.

Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:28 pm
Yeah what is everyone opinion? Certainly there will be discussion on the 'politics' of it (as well as the poor scoring for the US in the first round) but generally there is good spectacle wherever the games are (except maybe for the last two :|).

So what is more important - the ceremonies? The fairness to athletes, the stringent crackdown on cheating and drug use, the friendliness of the host city, mimimal stuff-ups (especially for transport)?

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:15 pm
I'm gutted that Chicago didnt get it. :( I was hoping they would, but im sure Rio will do a fantastic job at hosting the games.

The Olympic Soccer Final at the Maracana will be amazing.

Brazil have the 2014 world cup and the Olympics all within 2 years. :shock:
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 2,060.40
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:10 pm
Did Australia have a bid in this? Or was it Melbourne with the Soccer World Cup a year or two around this time?

Either way Rio is an interesting location.

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:30 pm
[quote:dcb8dcb461]Or was it Melbourne with the Soccer World Cup a year or two around this time?[/quote:dcb8dcb461]

If you mean are Australia bidding for the world cup around the same time, I think they're going for the 2018 or 2022 world cup . Fifa are going to announce the host countries for both the 2018 and 2022 world cups in December 2010. This time around the bidding nation can go for the 2018 and 2022 world cup but obviously can only get one of the two but it just doubles the odds I guess.

As for if we lodged a bid in the Olympics, I heard that Brisbane were interested. :thinking:
Last edited by Supernatural-Fan on Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 2,060.40
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:32 pm
^I heard Brisbane too, that might of been it actually. :thinking:
Emmy Winner
Cash on hand: 7,600.30
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:52 pm
I find it hilarious because during the last Olympics, a US poster (on another forum) was arrogantly proclaiming that all future Olympics would be held in the US to help the US networks get better ratings and not interfere with US sporting seasons. He reiterated this over and over again. I hope he is weeping today.

Well done Rio.
Cash on hand: 3,728.30
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:20 pm
Australia hasn't bid for a number of years (given we got it in 2000, I suppose that is not surprising), but there is believed to be interest from Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide for hosting.
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 547,683.00
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:03 pm
Interesting, very interesting and I'm glad they got it.

But yeah Rio is notorious for violent crime, which is apparently on the rise there at the moment. But obviously they will crack done of this especially for the Olympics - as cynical as that sounds.

The visitors, as in, participants, media, tourists etc... should love the surrounds though, with the world famous Copacabana and Ipanema beaches, the 'New Wonder of the World' the famous Rio icon, the 'Christ the Redeemer' statue that sits atop Corcovado mountain which overlooks the city.

It's great to see the Olympics in South America finally - I'm happy to see it breaking the very stale mould that was nearly always Europe and the US hosting, it's exciting for a variety of reasons to see the Olympics hosted in these 'new frontiers' if you like.

And with South America not hosting before - Yeah, I'm both surprised, but then, not surprised with that. BUT Argentina were doing pretty well until their financial collapse in 2001 and have always been kind of regarded as the most likely to be South America's first, 'First World' 'Developed Country.'

And I think that Argentina, through Buenos Aires, or even Rosario or Cordoba could give the Olympics a shot, but I'd doubt the latter two would be too succesful, not initially anyway. Argentina has a highly urbanised population and near 25% of them (13M) live in Greater Buenos Aires, one of the biggest conurbation areas in the world. Buenos Aires is another world famous South American city ofcourse, and much like Rio, prestige wise, would have a good shot at hosting a future Olympics, it just depends on getting the details right.
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:28 pm
Great. Its not in the USA. All i will say is the US dont need a games in a while. I am tipping an African games for 2020 and then with any luck Australia in 2024.

I have read stories and seen American News reports and people in America are not impressed. But i would say to them GROW UP YOU AMERICAN ........ No i wont go there i dont want to offend anyone.

Rio is going to be a great games. The atmosphere there alone looks awesome.
Next

Return to The Locker Room