Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 500.00
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:36 pm
Serves America right for just assuming they would get it :P

ER Surgeon
Cash on hand: 612.50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:00 pm
[b:90024b7ab6]Greysfan [/b:90024b7ab6]and [b:90024b7ab6]sherlock[/b:90024b7ab6], I don't know where you got the impression that people in the US "assumed" the games were going to be here. I'm sure [i:90024b7ab6]some[/i:90024b7ab6] people did. But the overwhelming majority of Americans? Not really.

I, for one, NEVER thought the US had a chance to get these games. I always thought it would be Rio. Besides, the US has had the games many, many times in the past. We just had them a few years ago. There are so many countries in the world that would like to stage the games that haven't had as many chances as we have. So, we don't need to have the games again so soon. But I think the fact that the games have never been in South America is a very strong argument in favor of having them there. I always thought Rio was the city to beat. Yes, I was surprised that Chicago went out in the first round. I thought their bid would hang around a bit longer. But win? I think they would have staged a great Olympics in Chicago if they had been picked. I just never thought they would be.

As for how people here are taking it? The idea that most people are p*ssed off about it because they just assume the games HAVE to be here because we're just so wonderful? That's something you're projecting onto the situation. It's not reality. Honestly, no one really cares that much.

In some ways, it's cool when the games are in your country. But honestly, there is so much else going on here that this kind of thing just doesn't register that long with people. It's like, "Oh, Chicago didn't get the games? [shrug] Too bad. They must be disappointed." Then, you move on. I don't even think it has come up in conversation with any of my friends in the last day or so. For the news media, it's an important one-day story--especially since the Obamas showed up in Copenhagen. Otherwise, for most Americans outside Chicago (and I'm sure THAT's where they are incredibly upset), it's not that big a deal.

I think having the games in Rio will be interesting though. So, I'm looking forward to see what they do with them.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,161,656.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:03 pm
I can take your point of view. I know that the majority of Americans probably wouldnt have cared but the stories i saw and read made me think otherwise.

ER Surgeon
Cash on hand: 612.50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:34 am
[quote:ee02ce9dc0="greysfan"]I can take your point of view. I know that the majority of Americans probably wouldnt have cared but the stories i saw and read made me think otherwise.[/quote:ee02ce9dc0]

You know, you bring up an interesting point when you say that what you saw and read in the media made you think what you did.

On the one hand, all we can go by when we're not in a country is what we see in the media. But it's so dangerous, because the media can give such a slanted view of things. I see it all the time in terms of the view of the United States that gets transmitted to the world via the stories that make their way into world news. I mean, you'd think everyone living here was either crazy or stupid or racist or a religious extremist or a gun-toting jack*ss or an arrogant SOB--or some combination of the whole lot.

I think that's what happened with the Olympics story. There were a lot of upset people in Chicago, and they probably showed that group of them in some park where they were gathered to hear the decision. And they looked totally gutted when the announcement came through. And there's a good chance some of them said some pretty unflattering things about Rio in the wake of hearing they had been rejected. And that's what the news stories focused on. But that's not representative of the country as a whole.

Just an aside. I remember a couple of years ago when I first heard Chicago was bidding for the games. My first reaction was, "What? [b:ee02ce9dc0]Chicago?[/b:ee02ce9dc0] Why in the world would they want to have the Olympic games in Chicago?" My reaction was totally out of ignorance. But...

By the way, I wonder if Australia is going to bid for the games again sometime soon? The time difference was a bit of a bother when the games were in Sydney. But I liked Sydney as a location--a lot. And I thought everything went off really well. I think getting the games out of Europe and North America so much of the time isn't a bad thing at all.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 16,349.10
Bank: 599,767.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:55 pm
[quote:3328db20ac="Sherlock Holmes"]Serves America right for just assuming they would get it :P[/quote:3328db20ac][quote:3328db20ac="PCH"]][b:3328db20ac]Greysfan [/b:3328db20ac]and [b:3328db20ac]sherlock[/b:3328db20ac], I don't know where you got the impression that people in the US "assumed" the games were going to be here. I'm sure [i:3328db20ac]some[/i:3328db20ac] people did. But the overwhelming majority of Americans? Not really.[/quote:3328db20ac]Portrayal/reporting in the Australian Media had it that Oprah and Michelle Obama were going to clinch it for America.

Oprah must be in a state of shock that she didn't just get something that she wanted :mrgreen:
BRING BACK LETTERS AND NUMBERS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:48 pm
[quote:0271d48f87="PCH"]By the way, I wonder if Australia is going to bid for the games again sometime soon? The time difference was a bit of a bother when the games were in Sydney. But I liked Sydney as a location--a lot. And I thought everything went off really well. I think getting the games out of Europe and North America so much of the time isn't a bad thing at all.[/quote:0271d48f87]

Well the Australian Committees are going for World Cup Soccer first. They said all their focus' are on that first. Also one of our cities wanted to bid for 2020 but according to reports they (the AOC) told them to go jump. 2024 will be the next time Australia will put a city forward for the games from what i have heard.

BTW i dont think Americans are that bad a people either. I know many who are just as kind as Australians are. Its just that small minority that the world media portrays as idiots, racists etc. Oh and then there is Hollywood. That is a totally different thing again.

Its like when the Cronulla Riots occurred. We were betrayed as a bunch of loonies and crazies. One thing i will say and i might get turned on but Australians are a booze country. No matter where i turn its do you want to go and get a beer at the pub or club. I am not a drinker and its crazy how many people here do it. I mean look at Australian Drama's there is always alcohol involved in the shows one way or another.
Emmy Winner
Cash on hand: 840.50
Bank: 369,470.00
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:53 pm
[quote:2977f5de7a="Critic"][quote:2977f5de7a="Sherlock Holmes"]Serves America right for just assuming they would get it :P[/quote:2977f5de7a][quote:2977f5de7a="PCH"]][b:2977f5de7a]Greysfan [/b:2977f5de7a]and [b:2977f5de7a]sherlock[/b:2977f5de7a], I don't know where you got the impression that people in the US "assumed" the games were going to be here. I'm sure [i:2977f5de7a]some[/i:2977f5de7a] people did. But the overwhelming majority of Americans? Not really.[/quote:2977f5de7a]Portrayal/reporting in the Australian Media had it that Oprah and Michelle Obama were going to clinch it for America.

Oprah must be in a state of shock that she didn't just get something that she wanted :mrgreen:[/quote:2977f5de7a]

well she shouldnt be greedy she got her president, one thing is enough.

I dont believe Chicago should have got it anyway if they did. I mean they hosted 1996 and 2002 (winter) games, i mean a break for a while would be alright, Australia has hosted it twice and have not put a bid in yet for another for the simple fact that its been so soon since the last! The same thing America should do and what the IOC most likely looked at first.
Cash on hand: 135.00
Bank: 1,706,572.20
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:34 pm
RDJ is a perfect spot for the Olympics. I think South America is due to host it and Brazil is a great first place.
Enjoy a challenge, visit the following thread and see if you can join the High IQ Society
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:00 pm
I heard that somewhere in Africa might be the next bet for 2020

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:07 pm
[quote:170dc4ef35="tiptop"]

I dont believe Chicago should have got it anyway if they did. I mean they hosted 1996 and 2002 (winter) games.[/quote:170dc4ef35]

Chicago have never hosted the Winter Games. Unless of course you mean, different American cities? The Olympics in 1996 were in Atlanta and the Winter Games in 2002 were in Utah.
PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room