Tennis

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,925.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:36 pm
The new Australian season (finishing with the Australian Open) is on now

With the Hopman cup and brisbane international on right now
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 159.50
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:58 pm
I stand and applauds Jack Sock who (in the Hopman Cup last night) told Leyton Hewitt to challenge a call that had been made as out thus losing himself a point.

There are very few tennis players would have one what Jack did.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/a/30 ... on-hewitt/

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions

Cash on hand: 108,391.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:33 am
The_Admiral wrote:I stand and applauds Jack Sock who (in the Hopman Cup last night) told Leyton Hewitt to challenge a call that had been made as out thus losing himself a point.

I watched that match last night, and thought that it was a remarkable thing. Kudos to Jack Sock for doing this great gesture. Hewitt's reaction was great - like he was speechless. I would be too if that happened to me (and if is played tennis too. lol)
Cash on hand: 159.50
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:39 am
yellow sock wrote:
The_Admiral wrote:I stand and applauds Jack Sock who (in the Hopman Cup last night) told Leyton Hewitt to challenge a call that had been made as out thus losing himself a point.

I watched that match last night, and thought that it was a remarkable thing. Kudos to Jack Sock for doing this great gesture. Hewitt's reaction was great - like he was speechless. I would be too if that happened to me (and if is played tennis too. lol)

I sent Jack a tweet saying "@JackSock Kudos to you for being the true sportsman by telling Leyton to challenge. Other tennis players should take note. *Applauds*" and he tagged it as a favourite :)

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Cash on hand: 5,217.50
Bank: 5,096,960.90
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:44 am
Australia wins the Hopman Cup for the first time in about 17 years, with Daria Gavrilova and Nick Kyrgios taking out the title. :< O<>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:40 pm
I have been really enjoying the tennis over the last week or so. I love my tennis watching in January - on the telly.

First with the Brisbane International and the Hopman Cup, and now with the Sydney International and the Kooyong Classic, the pre-Australian Open are a great warm up. And then the Australian Open starts. And love that even more.

On another note - I went to the Sydney International on Sunday. It was Day One. I have been going this tournament for a number of years now. I usually go with some friends in the first day or two so we can watch more games, and some "unknowns" play too. This time, we spent the whole day there. Spent some time watching some players at the practice courts, including Sam Stosur. We watched three games in full, in order:
- Lucic-Baroni beat Hradecka (on one of the outside courts). Me and my mates were going for Lucic as she had an easier name to cheer for. We hadn't heard from them before prior to the match
- Tammi Patterson (from Australia) play against Svetlana Kuznetsova (French & US Open winner) at Centre Court. Me and my mate sat down and watch these players come out on court and were screaming for Patterson. Minuets later, the "Aussie Army" came and sat behind us. Was only around 8 of them. We were then chanting for her to win, but sadly, she lost by a big amount.
- then watched Karolina Pliskova beat Ana Ivanovic.

Every time I have been there, it has been a very hot day. This year was no exception! Felt sorry for the players to play in the hot weather.

*edit*
I also went to the Friday night session. I saw the Women's Singles Final and the Women's Doubles Final.
- Singles: was between Svetlana Kuznetsova and Monica Puig. Was a good game. Kuznetsova won
- doubles: Martina Hingis and Sania Mirza beat Carolina Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic. Am so happy that I saw Martina Hingis play live.
Last edited by yellow sock on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:51 pm
The Australian Open gets underway for 2016 tomorrow. Can Novak Djokivic and Serena Williams take out the singles titles as they did last year, or will we see a new champion hoist the trophy on the last day of January?
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,925.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:39 pm
Matchfixing allegations surface against tennis players

On a totally unrelated matter- the Australian Open started today :roll:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:07 pm
And Tennis authorities are denying that any such thing ever took place. But seriously, who would expect them to actually stand up and admit to something like this?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:05 pm
yellow sock wrote: I went to the Sydney International on Sunday. It was Day One. We watched three games in full, in order:
- Lucic-Baroni beat Hradecka (on one of the outside courts). Me and my mates were going for Lucic as she had an easier name to cheer for. We hadn't heard from them before prior to the match

I also went to the Friday night session. I saw the Women's Singles Final and the Women's Doubles Final.
- doubles: Martina Hingis and Sania Mirza beat Carolina Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic. Am so happy that I saw Martina Hingis play live.

I don't want to gloat or anything, but was watching a bit of the Australian Open this afternoon, and noticed that it was the Women's Doubles Final on. Funny enough, I saw three of the four players play just two weeks ago. In todays Final, Martina Hingis and Sania Mirza beat Hradecka and another lady (name surpasses me). Well done to little known Hradecka who made it into the final. Initially, when watching the game today, I recognised Hingis and Mirza instantly. I didn't recognised Hradecka's name on the scoreboard (shamefully), but once they showed a close up on her, I was like "hey, I know her. I was yelling stuff out to her in her game a few weeks ago". lol
PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room