The A-League

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 7,595.60
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:38 pm
[quote3c]
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... tion=sport

Lowy calls for A-League development

The Football Federation Australia (FFA) chairman Frank Lowy says the A-League should keep expanding so it can get more qualification spots for the Asian Champions League.

The FFA decided against increasing the number of teams in the league to 10 this year.

But the small size of the league means that only two teams will qualify for the ACL.

Mr Lowy says Australia needs to think big with its domestic league.

"If we have 12 teams we will have three or maybe four, but I don't think we need to stop at 12 I mean, the sky is blue, the future is great, you know why stop at 12," he said.

Mr Lowy also suggested Australian football needs to bring in a system of relegation and promotion.

Mr Lowy says he wants to see more professional teams across the country.

"We need a back-up, so we need a second division or a state league.... we're capable... I don't think we're there yet," he said.

"We're probably a few more years to come. But promotion and relegation is the lifeblood of the game."
[/quote3c]

He is quite right we need more teams to get more teams into Asia, i mean having 3-4 teams out of 8 in Asia just isnt right and denies other nations teams who had to fight long and hard for there spot a chance.

We need a 12-team league in the short term and in the long term as he said a promotion and relegation system.I don't think a state league based system would work (as has being tried but eventually dumped in the NSL) i think a system akin to the Scottish Football League would work where teams don't get promoted to it but elected based on criteria (i.e stadium capacity etc etc) and whoever best fills that criteria get elected and starts in the bottom division.

I think three divisions including the A-league (being the top flight) and having a league one and league two would be best.It would balance between having a too big league and a too small league.

It would also add another element to the A-league and give teams something to play for who might not be able to make the finals.

I dream of one day having a cup competition a la FA cup and a relegation/promotion system that will mean that Australian Football has grown up and matured into a proper football league not another clone of the NRL/AFL model that will set us apart as a unique league in Australia.

Discuss!
Cash on hand: 135.00
Bank: 1,706,572.20
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:45 pm
I love the idea of expanding the A-league but it must be done slowly and carefully otherwise we will dilute the talent pool and undo the great work the league has done so far.
Enjoy a challenge, visit the following thread and see if you can join the High IQ Society
Cash on hand: 1,987.50
Bank: 44,930.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:49 pm
^^^ i agree!!! it has to happen slow.
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:53 pm
[quote:07f232cd7e="Mercury"]I love the idea of expanding the A-league but it must be done slowly and carefully otherwise we will dilute the talent pool and undo the great work the league has done so far.[/quote:07f232cd7e]

Indeed its full of challenges and pitfalls but it has being that way every step of the way since the new beginning of the A-league.I would say that if we have a proper league that can be respected on the world stage and at a regional level might encourage some players that might not be good enough to make it at the highest levels of European football and will most likely play in the lower leagues of Europe to stay home and play football here.

This is the next step after we have safely consolidated what we have achieved.I do not expect moves towards a promotion/relegation system for a decade but the fact there is high level support for it is great.The fact that the FFA are working towards as we speak towards a FA-cup style knock-out competition is great also.
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:09 pm
Ben Buckley has said they will look at a relegation/promotion system after the first expansion.

Hopefully it bears fruit.......it would be simple have three divisions including the a-league with say 10 teams each.Open the licenses to all so long as they have decent stadia and work on promoting their team to all with having new names and colours if necessary,teams from areas that we are wanting to expand to are especially encouraged to apply for licenses.Also i think we should keep the teams that are in the top-flight there and the new teams fill out the other two divisions.I think that we will have better teams if they aren't just thrown in the deep end of the A-league, they can learn the ropes and get to the top flight.

Have a promotion/relegation system two teams from each division getting promoted and relegated.Those want to enter the league have to be elected to the league much like in Scotland.It would also be great to see city derby's small clubs get up to the top flight etc (and Melbourne get relegated :mrgreen: ) it would be awesome. :D
Cash on hand: 8,336.60
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:52 pm
Some rich bugger has come forward with a desire to take over the Gold Coast franchise. Looks like they will be in next year for sure, and with a hell of a lot of cash to back up!

And whats even better, he hates the name "Galaxy". :)
Semper Fidelis
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:16 pm
[quote:a087a74d37="bane"]Some rich bugger has come forward with a desire to take over the Gold Coast franchise. Looks like they will be in next year for sure, and with a hell of a lot of cash to back up!

And whats even better, he hates the name "Galaxy". :)[/quote:a087a74d37]

Yay that name is shiteful and means nothing!. :dance:

Is their an article on this? :thinking:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:33 pm
[quote:0248c94bec]
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/05/30/11822_gold-coast-sport.html

BILLIONAIRE Gold Coast mining magnate Clive Palmer, Queensland's richest man, has dipped into his bulging wallet to all but guarantee himself the A-League soccer licence the Galaxy consortium thought was theirs for the taking.

In a stunning eleventh-hour coup, the larger-than-life Palmer, 54, who played soccer and rugby league on the Coast as a young man, has emerged from the shadows as Australia's answer to Chelsea's Russian oligarch owner Roman Abramovich.

Secret talks with Football Federation Australia have been going on for over a week -- and the as-yet-unnamed franchise will be officially unveiled next Friday after already receiving the tacit approval of FFA kingpin Frank Lowy and his chief executive Ben Buckley.
Have your say on the feedback form below

Ironically, a long-awaited final decision on the destiny of the Fred Taplin-led Galaxy bid was due at an FFA board meeting on Tuesday -- but the tectonic plates have shifted irrevocably with emergence of Palmer, who made his estimated $1.5 billion fortune from real estate and then mineral prospecting in the Pilbara.

Last night Palmer, who has a home near Labrador but spends much of the year traversing the globe in his 120-seat private jet, descended on rain-lashed Pizzey Park, Miami -- home of Burleigh Heads soccer club -- to catch a clash between the Queensland Roar and a Premier League XI.

He also took time out to unveil his vision for a club he sees as the likely A-League champions within three seasons.

"That's the plan," he said. "The Gold Coast deserves the best team in the land and that's what they will get. They will receive all the financial support they need.

"I don't like to lose at anything I do and down here there's a chance to be winners.

"I'm from Surfers Paradise originally; I know the people and I am more than happy to be involved.

"I want to put something back into a community that supported me for many years.

"There are 40,000 people between here and NSW involved in soccer -- the only game which truly represents us internationally."

Palmer is convinced nothing can stop him leading a team into an expanded 10-team competition in 2009-2010.

"People who know what I do will know that things I'm involved in usually work out okay and I can support the club (financially) no matter what."

The Taplin-led alliance of local property developers was granted a provisional licence back in February but have struggled to make headway with the FFA since.

The Gold Coast is set to be one of three Queensland teams in 2009, alongside the Roar and a Townsville franchise.

A startled Taplin would only say last night: "I am aware of Mr Palmer's interest and things are moving fast."

It's believed that Miron Bleiberg, who had been aligned to the Galaxy bid, may be recruited.

The Galaxy moniker will be ditched, with Palmer adding: "The Galaxy name belongs to the LA Galaxy. We'll eventually be playing in the Asian Champions League on an international level, so we don't want any confusion.

"We'll come up with a name that's going to be regionally based." Palmer 'retired' at 29 after striking it rich in property. He then switched his gaze to Western Australia with his company, Mineralogy, sitting on huge iron ore deposits. His fortune is estimated at $1.5 billion. He contends he's worth nearly twice that.

Though he played soccer for Broadbeach in his teens, Palmer was a better league player who has just had a grandstand at his old club, the Southport Tigers, named after him.

Such is his largesse that, when approached recently by the Tigers, Palmer donated $50,000 in holidays for the club's best-and-fairest awards. What he could achieve with an A-League franchise for the Coast is the stuff of wild imagination.
[/quote:0248c94bec]

Found it myself......this is big time the guy has more money than he knows what to do with it seems.

However i hope that we dont end up like in England and more recently scotland where you have clubs that are backed up to the hilt by one man/person and when things go pearshaped for he/she or he/she gets bored they withdraw their finances leaving the club up s**ts creek without a paddle....to the point where clubs fold.

Just ask Gretna who are now is in the 3rd division of scottish football and is on the verge of folding.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:47 am
[quote:0566ab9acd]
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23784539-5000940,00.html

A-League plans promotion system

By Liam FitzGibbon

May 30, 2008

FOOTBALL Federation Australia chief executive Ben Buckley says plans for the implementation of a promotion and relegation system for the A-League will be in place by October.

FFA chairman Frank Lowy last week revealed the FFA were looking to introduce the system to strengthen Australia's ranking in Asia and enhance prospects of hosting a World Cup.

With the Asian Football Confederation and FIFA putting pressure on the league to introduce a multi-tier system, Buckley confirmed FFA had informed the AFC it would have plans in place within the next five months.

"We said to the AFC we would get back to them by October this year as to what our plan is via promotion-relegation,'' Buckley said.

"They understand our situation and they've accepted that we will have a plan in place by October this year and that will be for an implementation for a promotion-relegation system, not at this point in time but for some years to come.

''It's something that will be assessed over time. After we've got through the next phase of expansion then we'll be looking to a promotion and relegation system.''

Promotion and relegation was a hot topic at Friday's FIFA Congress in Sydney, where world football's governing body approved changes to laws ensuring that teams could only be promoted and relegated on the basis of their sporting achievements, not monetary issues.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said these laws would apply to all new leagues, including a second-tier league in Australia when it is created.

"The decision we made today does not affect the existing leagues but it will be a strong indication to these leagues to adapt to this principal,'' Blatter said.

"And here in Australia, when I spoke with the leaders of football, they said they will introduce a second league.''

AAP

[/quote:0566ab9acd]

Wonderful this world cup even if we dont get it could have beneficial effects in the long-term.

[quote:0566ab9acd]
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23786350-5000940,00.html

Galaxy seeking answers on rival

By Bernie Pramberg

May 31, 2008

STUNNED Gold Coast Galaxy boss Fred Taplin has asked Football Federation Australia to explain their role in the apparent dumping of his consortium in favour of a bid backed by Queensland's richest man.

Reports that mining magnate Clive Palmer has held secret talks with FFA and could be granted the Gold Coast licence next week have rocked the Taplin-led Galaxy consortium.

Fallout included the Galaxy hastily severing connections with former Roar coach Miron Bleiberg and official Norman Chan, who had been aligned with the consortium. Bleiberg had been acting in the capacity of football manager.

It is believed Palmer offered to become involved with the Taplin-led group some time ago but the offer was rejected because of certain conditions imposed by the billionaire businessman.

Taplin declined to elaborate on a written statement claiming he was "shocked and horrified" to read of Palmer's bid in Friday's newspapers.

"We have written to FFA requesting clarification of Gold Coast Galaxy Football Pty Ltd's position in light of the articles which have appeared in (Friday's) newspapers," reads the statement.

"We have also written to Mr Miron Bleiberg and Mr Norman Chan advising them they no longer represent GC Galaxy Football Pty Ltd."

Taplin said his organisation, which had been granted a provisional licence by FFA, would continue to pursue the Gold Coast franchise.

Palmer, who grew up on the Gold Coast, is worth an estimated $1.5 billion.
[/quote:0566ab9acd]

It was a total ambush i must admit he is very clever.

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:47 pm
I hope we do get an expansion, also i hope the head honchos get rid of the NZ team as the league is an Australia competition and all its doing is taking up a spot in the league by having them..
Next

Return to The Locker Room