TV Coverage B**** Thread

Show your colours - join the AFL & NRL 2011 Tipping Competitions ..Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, A-League and all other sports. ..it's all here in the Locker Room.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:51 pm
What do you guys think of channel 7's coverage of the Olympics? I reckon it could be better. I only found out the Netherlands were in the women's badminton single's final because I happened to tune into SBS. Channel 7 only seems to show events in which Australians are competing, and then sometimes not the entire event, just highlights (especially with team sport matches). Often they claim to be showing events live but then it turns out it's not live.
Plus there's so many ads, and they keep reminding viewers who their sponsors are. Like we care! The only ad I like is the Smith's chips one, where there's some Greek construction builders eating Smith's potato chips when a starter's gun goes off and the camera swings to some athletes running along a half finished track in a half finished stadium. Three runners jump over hurdles, one falls over a wheelbarrow. Then the words come up: Blame it on the taste. Hehehe, a funny ad that one.
Aside from that, when Australia wins an event Ch7 repeats that event over and over and over and over. They could be showing other events with no Australians competing in them, but they'd rather re-hash the events we won or got silver/bronze in.
I still haven't found out who won the badminton match, Netherlands or China. It was late and I went to bed after the first set. The TV news of course doesn't mention it, and it's not in the papers. Of course. Had an Australian been in that match, ooh boy it would have been shown live on Ch7, and would have been on the front page of every paper had we won.
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:01 am
Channel 7's coverage would be absolutely first class....[i:c4b98bd885]if Australia was the only country competing...[/i:c4b98bd885]

Their coverage is beyond bad... It's sickening. :oops:
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:04 am
There is 202 countries involved, to show a relatively obscure like badminton when we aren't even involved would generally make people turn off. If you want to find out so much who won you could use the internet, pretty easy to find out results.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:09 am
tony squires is a horrible host

and is it just me or do i think im watching channel 10 sport because im so familiar of matthew white's voice being on channel 10's sports tonight?

yes, he was on that channel for an awfully long time

but yeh things to cringe about:

the amount of times they show iraq's overcoming adversity to be in the olympics, its ok and all, but they dont have to show it 24321984732894278714123 times since day 1?

ads: too many, and the ads seem to be going in a loop, oh and when its late at night, the ads are too LOUD, compared to the coverage! SOMEONE MAKE THE ADS ON AUSTRALIAN TELEVISION QUIET!

if you really want to get a real coverage of the olympics follow it via the abc radio network, a network that doesnt miss a beat
Golden Globe Winner
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:15 am
Even though 7 only showsevents with Aussies in them it was SBS with the Australia vs Australia Beach Volleyball... how ironic.
Still alive. ;)

Logie Winner
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:25 am
I think that Channel Seven are doing a really good job. Take into account just how much they have to cover. At any one time anything up to ten events (or even more) may be running at any one time. And there are over 200 countries competing. They make sure we know how the Aussies are doing, as well as any results that they think we may be interested in. They have done a pretty good job of covering most of it. And they did a smart thing in leasing some of the lesser known or popular sports such as Soccer and badminton and Vollyball to SBS to make sure these sports get some coverage as well.

I think we're getting a pretty good and well rounded coverage from seven but that's just my opinion.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:24 am
[quote:e8f0de00de="Babylove"]I think that Channel Seven are doing a really good job. Take into account just how much they have to cover. At any one time anything up to ten events (or even more) may be running at any one time. And there are over 200 countries competing. They make sure we know how the Aussies are doing, as well as any results that they think we may be interested in. They have done a pretty good job of covering most of it. And they did a smart thing in leasing some of the lesser known or popular sports such as Soccer and badminton and Vollyball to SBS to make sure these sports get some coverage as well.

I think we're getting a pretty good and well rounded coverage from seven but that's just my opinion.[/quote:e8f0de00de]

Just watching Australia v Iraq in the soccer now on SBS. For a lesser known sport, it's actually quite exciting. :)

One more point about 7's coverage... Why all the advertising for widescreen TVs to watch the olympics on when the coverage is in the old-fashioned 4:3 aspect? I reckon there has to be some pissed off people out there... :?

Hollywood Walk of Fame Star
Cash on hand: 25.00
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:34 am
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the NBC that only has the right cameras to do the wide screen stuff?

Also I don't think Channel 7 are doing a too bad of a job. There are so many events to cover and a lot of it is coming live and it must be hard to juggle and go to an Australia who going to win a medal that wasn't expecting too. That's why you might have experience Channel 7 cutting from some of the team sports to go to another Australian who was about to win or place in an event.

I was annoyed with Channel 7 on day one with the number of ad breaks and I rang their Olympic Call Centre to complain about this and also that we didn't need to see the medal winners over and over and over and over again and they have at least seemed to lengthen out the time between ad breaks.

It it had been on Channel 9 - well with their reputation, they might have taken the coverage off and say play it six months later or told you that it would be back soon (being never) :o
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 8,336.60
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:36 am
Sandy Roberts! Sandy Roberts! Sandy Roberts!
This guy is a joke.

So far the hosts have just been weird. Seeing Mathew White talk on seven is definately a spin out. Doesnt belong there. Roy and HG are well past prime, not funny anymore.

Tony Squires, a commedian or host? Not either as far as I can tell.

Attrocious generalised commentators. Apart from Bruce, the only commentators they have that know anything about the sport have come from other networks! Basically when they steal the SBS coverage and pass it off as their own.

Heres a quote from one of the channel seven commentators.

[i:1725adc656]"The two riders are twins and they are both aged 24"[/i:1725adc656]

[quote:1725adc656="H8OZTV"]I reckon there has to be some pissed off people out there... [/quote:1725adc656]

Nope! This coverage is hysterical, so awful its become hysterical, Im laughing my ass off!
Semper Fidelis
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:52 pm
[quote:1de68d240a]It it had been on Channel 9 - well with their reputation, they might have taken the coverage off and say play it six months later or told you that it would be back soon (being never) :o[/quote:1de68d240a]

:lol: :sb_hehe: Good one! I could just see Ch9 doing that. They'd repeat the entire coverage of the Syndey 2000 games first, of course. :lol:
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
Next

Return to The Locker Room