Muse

Discussions on the latest music news and releases. Book lovers are also welcome to discuss what they're currently reading!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:41 am
Well, I did the dodge and downloaded the leak!

In my defense, I pre-ordered the album through muse.mu and paid for it over a month ago now, and considering the fact that my copy probably wont be delivered until next week, mp3 copies are what I would have done with with album for my iPod so its not too bad. I don't want to have to wait all weekend anyway...

[spoiler:c1de25375e]Muse are one of those rare bands that can reinvent themselves without reinventing themselves. The last outing, Black Holes and Revelations, saw them experiment with different sounds that would have alienated fans of any other band. Instead, they embraced the new direction, which saw said album closer Knights of Cydonia hit the number one spot on JJJ's Hot 100 of 2007.

Clearly not content with walking on the knife's edge of fan alienation, this follow up sees even more daring diversion from the norm. Pop, rock, operatic, dance, retro; Muse dabble in just about everything other than what they are known for. While it could come across as a lack of focus to some, the success rate in which they hit the right notes definatly suggest otherwise.

If there is one flaw, its that track 2 Resistance is what should have opened this album. Okay, its kinda obvious as an opening track when you listen to it and perhaps that's why its second. But there is nothing wrong with lead single Uprising leading the pack. Its clearly the safe bet before things just go crazy.
Undisclosed Desires is bordering on dance pop...the sound is instantly a hook... its crying out for single! Matt's soaring vocals appear on Guiding Light is itself a guiding light. Unnatural Selection is crazy guitars and just a great old-skool rock track. MK Ultra has retro electro/techno rock; there is just so much going on in this one; listen for the warped vocals at 1:50. I Belong to You is just plain cheesy pop. In an album full of so many compleatly out of character sounds from the boys, this one is easily the standout when it comes to wierdness.
Ending on Exogenesis.... incredible. Its their most ambitious endeavour ever and combine to make easily the standout musical moments of the year. Amazing and worth the wait... the definition of epic.

Despite the massive shift in style, there is still something comforting in hearing Matt belt out his unmistakeable falsetto over the length of the album. Every track is epic in its own effortless way, pushing the progressive boundaries even further than they ever have. They make sure there is never a dull moment, you can be certain of that. And as different as things sound, its that curiousity in what lies around the corner that keeps The Resistance on the rails.

The Resistance is the album that will test the long term Muse fans. Weather fans are agreeable or not, The Resistance is the step that they needed to take creatively. Its the sound of a band that is comfortable with where they are in their career, in that they can afford to take a chance on something new. Its a bold move that has paid off in that its quite possibly their most consistant album yet. If nothing else its definatly one of the most unique albums of the year, and again proves that Muse are one of the very best bands that will continue to surprise. Just listen to the final track of Exogenesis and see how moving a rock band can be without being cheesy. Incredible.[/spoiler:c1de25375e]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:44 pm
Exogenesis is next up on JJJ if you are listening... epic track!

Also, the album is number one on iTunes Album chart and its still listed as a pre-order. Not sure how many pre-orders it needs to take to get to number one on that chart though.

Golden Globe Nominee
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:26 pm
LOVE THIS ALBUM!

I needn't say more.

I got the album on iTunes, with the new "iTunes LP" features. Pretty awesome! Beautiful artwork and a couple of behind-the-scenes videos thrown in for good measure.
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 167.50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:47 pm
Anyone catch them on the MTV VMAs??
Ah-may-zing!!
One of the best live performances I think I've ever seen.
Here's two different links you can see it (just incase they get removed for copyright infringement):

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDIeA8V-lw[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv3V6pUG4x8[/url]

Jayde xox
"If two people were meant to be together, eventually they'll find their way back." - Chuck Bass
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:24 am
Took me five freakin' days to get my copy shipped to me - that's the first and last time I pre-order through the official site, I don't care what they tempt me with.

Glad I downloaded the leak or I would have been very mad... but I have my proper copy in my hands, am converting the DVD to watch on my iPod at work tomorrow. :D

I listened to Exogenesis 10 times today at work... just had them on repeat... love it!
Emmy Nominee
Cash on hand: 520.00
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 am
Not impressed in the slightest with their latest material. Survival and Unsustainable are terrible and Madness is barely palatable.

I don't know how they could go from songs like Uprising, MK Ultra and Exogenesis to trite like this.
Emmy Nominee
Cash on hand: 520.00
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:54 am
Listened to The 2nd Law.

Eh, Supremacy and Explorers are respectable.

The rest is disposable.
Cash on hand: 9,237.50
Bank: 804,267.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 am
Triple M has been playing Madness. The DJ keeps saying "It'll grow on you" but it's yet to work its magic on me! :roll:
The power of submission lies not in the ability to kneel before another, to give over one's body or in the wearing of a collar.
The power of submission can be found only in the heart of one who gives her love to another freely knowing what joy and pain will come of it - Roguer
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:39 pm
'Supremacy' is actually one of the theme songs for 'Skyfall' Bond 23. Lost out to Adele, but the track should be on the end credits because the ending is great for "Bond will return in...". Oh well, better luck next time I suppose. ;)

Their new album is pretty respectable to me but not their best work.
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:14 pm
Quite like the album. Including Madness, which is a ridiculous song, but the final minute redeems it ever so slightly.

But most of the rest of the album works for me just fine. Personal favourite is Big Freeze.

Certainly like it a lot more than their appalling last album. That was just...woeful.
PreviousNext

Return to Music and Books