Muse

Discussions on the latest music news and releases. Book lovers are also welcome to discuss what they're currently reading!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Uprising was better, but not mindblowing. Had a much better beat to it than Eurasia. The "come on" bit was a bit cheesy mind you.
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:48 am
Loving both songs...

Pre-ordered the album online... didn't get that massive expensive set though... looked pretty sweet though...
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:14 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5vUMt33_Xw

MK Ultra definately sounds awesome. So does the second part of the symphony.

A lot of the other songs have potential, too though.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:22 pm
Yeah, was listening to the 30 second snippits on muse.mu and lots of interesting sounding stuff there. The symphony is going to be good, agreed on that second part...

Only a week away now...
Cash on hand: 3,728.30
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:21 pm
It's sad when groundbreaking bands seem to have run out of creative oomph and end up echoing their earlier efforts. Almost every track on this album sounds like or even uses parts of tracks on previous albums, most particularly Absolution and Origin of Symmetry (eg compare Symphony 2 with Blackout, MK Ultra with Stockholm Syndrome, and there's definite elements of Dying Atheist and Micro Cuts in there too) whilst a couple of other tracks sound basically like Queen brought into the 2000s, and one sounds like a 1980s hair metal revival.

Daytime Soap Star
Cash on hand: 105.00
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:43 pm
I (respectfully) disagree. Granted, I haven't heard the 30-second previews yet (i'd rather wait until the album is released to experience the whole product first-run). But from Uprising and USoE, both sound unlike anything the've done yet. Definitely a more classical influence on both compared to previous efforts. I think since Black Holes, their music sounds a lot more polished compared to their earlier records. I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste, but I prefer this to their earlier distorted sound. USoE did take a few listens to grow on me, but I consider that a testament to a band's growth.

In either case, i think it's a little premature to judge the album based on 30-second clips. Ecstatic for Saturday :D
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:44 am
I like their old stuff and new stuff for different reasons... but OoS will always be their best album...

... the one thing that worries me is that I heard Uprising on Nova on the weekend... along with the Twilight promotion, I am worried about some more mainstream popularity from them now... :(

Daytime Soap Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:34 am
Personally, I think OoS had more accessible songs (Plug in Baby, Darkshines) than Uprising or anything from BH&R.

[quote:f42bef8777="jay"]I like their old stuff and new stuff for different reasons... but OoS will always be their best album...[/quote:f42bef8777]
Always? Well, yes, if you don't have an open mind about anything else they release.

I just get frustrated when fans are blinded by a band's album so much they refuse to admit if a later album is better. If it's different, they complain it's not like the good old days. If it's the same, they dismiss the band for not coming up with anything new. It's ok for a group to release a few records before they really hit their stride.

Then again, maybe I just don't understand the hyperbole praise for OoS... :? I think all the other albums (bar Showbiz) are just as good.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:06 pm
I love all their albums actually... and just because I love OoS the most doesn't mean that any other album are worse because of it, or that any future albums will just be crap. Don't you have a favorite album? Or is it like picking which is you favorite child?

I like that Muse are experiementing and not sticking to "the good old days" because every album has been incredible and very different because of it. Yes, I still personally like OoS the most... but I'm not closed off into thinking a newer album will be better. I think thats called open-mindedness. :wink:

Daytime Soap Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:42 pm
Yeah you're right. It's not so much here just other fans who say OoS will forever be Muse's greatest album. I agree, every Muse album has many things to love about them. It's difficult to single out one that rises above the rest.

I wouldn't worry about their (slightly) heightened profile since Supermassive Black Hole. Muse aren't the kind of band that would change or dumb down their style for mass appeal. I think the recognition is just an added bonus :)
PreviousNext

Return to Music and Books