David Bowie

Discussions on the latest music news and releases. Book lovers are also welcome to discuss what they're currently reading!
Site Admin
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:03 am
A quick review becuase I'm already late for work ;)

Last night I was lucky enough to the man himself, David Bowie, live at the Rod Laver Arena. It's been some time since Bowie has graced our shores (about fifteen years give or take), and it's safe to say he did not dissapoint!

A 2 1/2 hour set comprising new songs off his comeback albums Heathen and Reality, as a well as a great selection of the classics. Whilst some may say there were a few to many newbies (and perhaps there were ;) ), none could be dissapointed with his selection of classics!

The set opened with hit Rebel Rebel, moved straight into current single New Killer Star, and then jumped back to the 70s with Fame, a song Bowie co-wrote with legendary performer/musician/activist/artist John Lennon.

Highlights from the night included a range of cover songs.... Cactus from The Pixies (which can be found on Heathen), one track penned by George Harrison, and a cover of The Velvet Underground's White Light/White Heat which Bowie has been performing on and off since the early 70s.

The greatest hits selection included (apart from the above mentioned songs ;) ):
The Man Who Sold the World, I'm Afraid of Americans, China Girl, Under Pressure, Heroes, Hang on to Yourself, Life on Mars, Starman and many more.

Perhaps the highlight for me was the encore....
Bowie and the band returned and announced they would play a song they have only attempted live twice before. It was the once written by George Harrison... this was followed by Five Years (the opening track from the Ziggy Stardust album), Suffragette City, and finished on Ziggy Stardust!

Well now I am late for work so I have to go.... if ppl want more info I can post more details later.

-dan.
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:08 am
Want More details! I remember you mentioning the concert in that review I did of David Bowie's latest album... WANT MORE INFO! So sad I couldn't go.
Sounds like he didn't do a whole lot from the Reality album though New Killer Star has to be one of the best songs on the album.
[img57]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/KindGuy63/FinishedCopy2.jpg[/img57]

[i57]Courtesy of Syl: The views stated above by KindGuy are in no way the views of TVAus or any of its administrators or moderators. They are the sole opinion of KindGuy.[/i57]
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:08 pm
Actually he played heaps off Reality and heathen.... though I don't really know reality much...

Highlighys off Heathen included sunday, cactus, and everyone says 'hi'.

He played a song called 'uncle floyd' that may be off reality.

Another oldie I forgot to mention was 'All the Young Dudes', that was really cool.
Japanese Story
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:24 pm
[quote:1d323d8a82]David Bowie narrowly escaped serious injury after being hit in the eye by a lollipop while onstage.
The 57-year-old singer was hit by the flying object while performing in Oslo, Norway, during his tour on Friday.

The gig continued after Bowie's eye was checked by an aide. The singer did not suffer serious injury.

"In typical Bowie fashion, and despite his understandable initial anger, David made light of the incident," the singer's website reported.

Dilated

Bowie asked the culprit to reveal him or herself, but they did not do so.

"Please think carefully before you lob anything stageward in future, people," his website warned.

Bowie's left eye was previously damaged in a playground fight 42 years ago, leaving his pupil permanently dilated.

His current 62-date tour of North America and Europe includes an appearance at Glasgow's T in the Park festival on 10 July.
[/quote:1d323d8a82]

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3825737.stm#startcontent[/url]
Japanese Story

TVAus Rookie
Cash on hand: 2.50
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:33 pm
haha, thats a good one. Maybe he is too old to be doing gigs.
- syl
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:38 pm
[img:398243d27f]http://gfx.dagbladet.no/kultur/2004/06/19/KariBowi2.jpg[/img:398243d27f]
Japanese Story

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:17 am
Lucky it was a lollipop and not somebodies dentures or a big pair of knickers, I just think that at some stage of your life you should hang up the touring shoes and replace them with comfy slippers...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:31 am
[quote:301c136d10="Bodhi"]Lucky it was a lollipop and not somebodies dentures or a big pair of knickers, I just think that at some stage of your life you should hang up the touring shoes and replace them with comfy slippers...... :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:301c136d10]

The Scorpions are touring for their latest album... their oldest members remember World War 2 hehehe. These guys need to keep on rocking, they're great :D good on Bowie for not getting too pissed. He's a true performer.
[img57]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/KindGuy63/FinishedCopy2.jpg[/img57]

[i57]Courtesy of Syl: The views stated above by KindGuy are in no way the views of TVAus or any of its administrators or moderators. They are the sole opinion of KindGuy.[/i57]

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:24 am
When I took my mum to see Neil Diamond a few years ago, it was a spin out to see the blue rinse brigade out en masse. All the concerts I had gone to before were like U2, Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi, Ugly Kid Joe and yet there I was surrounded by these lovely people one of whom I kid you not was knitting :shock: :lol:

I am now going to see the Eagles and now I get to feel like those ladies :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just will forever remember David Bowie as Aladin Sane, at school we would walk around singing the whole Changes 1 & 2 albums, and I only ever watched Christiane F to see the Bowie concert and not for the drug taking.....So maybe you are right KindGuy maybe they should keep rocking so that my daughter will have to take me to the concerts and have a laugh at us :wink: :)
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:04 pm
I force these bands on my daughter - its every parent's duty. Our generations music was the last true music, now we see music that isn't even played on instruments with peoples' voices that aren't even their own. its sickening.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Books